Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo or Supercharger & witch brand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:30 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER & WITCH BRAND

From your original questions, it seems you have a lot of research to do. Many things would need to be considered before you could confidently decide what would be best for your car. Time, money, and purpose would be three things I would start with.

This forum could be your best resource for information, as there isn't much these folks haven't done. Get yourself more honed in on what you'd like to accomplish, and you'll get some more specific answers and invaluable help from these guys.

best of luck s ~
Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: sactown

I went with the Saleen SC/475hp upgraded, IMO its the best and most effiecent SC on the market if you compare rwhp numbers, I am making as much HP as most the guys with Whimples and KB SC that are running 10psi of boost and I am only running 6.5psi.

No one but you believes that one. Even I know a KB will make more power than a whipple or saleen with the same sized pulley. I could easily say the whipple makes more boost with the same size pulley as a saleen. This is FUD at it's finest.
If you would have read the thread correctly, I do not mention pulley size any where. What I said is that it seems to me that the people running whipples and KB's need to run more boost to make similiar HP numbers, as the folks running Saleen SC's at low boost levels. It is true that the whipples and KB will make more boost thana Saleen SC with a similiar size pulley, but at the same time IMO,from reading, and posts onthis forum it seems that the whipples and KB's are not making a significant amount of additional HP with that extra boost. That could be due to the design difference between the SC's. The whipple and KB's design allows them to run a much higher overall boost level, but this design could be affecting their performance at lower boost levels, while the Saleen SC cannot reach the same boost levels as the whipple and KB because of its design, it does appear to be more efficent at lower boost levels. And there is other contributing factors to performance also, but I am just talking about the SC's in general. This is just my opinon, I am not a researcher and am not going to do the research, and I know you will never agree with me and I don't expect you to.

What is FUD?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:47 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I went with the Saleen SC/475hp upgraded, IMO its the best and most effiecent SC on the market if you compare rwhp numbers, I am making as much HP as most the guys with Whimples and KB SC that are running 10psi of boost and I am only running 6.5psi.

No one but you believes that one. Even I know a KB will make more power than a whipple or saleen with the same sized pulley. I could easily say the whipple makes more boost with the same size pulley as a saleen. This is FUD at it's finest.
If you would have read the thread correctly, I do not mention pulley size any where. What I said is that it seems to me that the people running whipples and KB's need to run more boost to make similiar HP numbers, as the folks running Saleen SC's at low boost levels. It is true that the whipples and KB will make more boost thana Saleen SC with a similiar size pulley, but at the same time IMO,from reading, and posts onthis forum it seems that the whipples and KB's are not making a significant amount of additional HP with that extra boost. That could be due to the design difference between the SC's. The whipple and KB's design allows them to run a much higher overall boost level, but this design could be affecting their performance at lower boost levels, while the Saleen SC cannot reach the same boost levels as the whipple and KB because of its design, it does appear to be more efficent at lower boost levels. And there is other contributing factors to performance also, but I am just talking about the SC's in general. This is just my opinon, I am not a researcher and am not going to do the research, and I know you will never agree with me and I don't expect you to.

What is FUD?

FUD is fear, uncertainty and doubt. Whipple doesn't offer a 6.5psi intercooled options, but the non-intercooled kit has shown over 400rwhp on the dyno. KB sells a 5psi non-intercooled kit with a claimed 401rwhp. So you don't think a tuner could squeeze out another 37rwhp by adding 1.5psi and an intercooler?

You can't look at some dyno sheet from BFE and make such an assumption. You really can't compare time slips unless they are from the same track on the same day.

You really think an intercooled KB 3v running 6.5psi can't make your claimed 438rwhp in your sig, really?

Here's what I think. I think any of these blowers will make similar numbers with the same amount of boost, but the KB will be slightly ahead of the game because of it's size. All the big online tuners seemed to back up what I think. They just don't offer 6.5psi kits because everyone is running atleast 8.

I think any whipple HO on this site will beat you in a roll race because there's no way you are making the same power. Now put on a 3.4 inch pulley and it's a drivers race atleast.

By all means keep spreading the FUD, but don't think i'm not going to call you on it. I'm surprised no one else said anything. Maybe they didn't want to debate it with you or just don't care, IDK.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:11 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Okay fine.
w-h-i-p-p-l-e....

Seriously the first poster should research it some more and determine what he really needs.
There is no doubt any of the major forced induction kits can do what you need them to do.
I was just surprised to hear there are shops down there that think that the Whipple wouldn't do the trick. Whimples are good stuff!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:27 AM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

+1

What is FUD?

FUD is fear, uncertainty and doubt. Whipple doesn't offer a 6.5psi intercooled options, but the non-intercooled kit has shown over 400rwhp on the dyno. KB sells a 5psi non-intercooled kit with a claimed 401rwhp. So you don't think a tuner could squeeze out another 37rwhp by adding 1.5psi and an intercooler?

You can't look at some dyno sheet from BFE and make such an assumption. You really can't compare time slips unless they are from the same track on the same day.

You really think an intercooled KB 3v running 6.5psi can't make your claimed 438rwhp in your sig, really?

Here's what I think. I think any of these blowers will make similar numbers with the same amount of boost, but the KB will be slightly ahead of the game because of it's size. All the big online tuners seemed to back up what I think. They just don't offer 6.5psi kits because everyone is running atleast 8.

I think any whipple HO on this site will beat you in a roll race because there's no way you are making the same power. Now put on a 3.4 inch pulley and it's a drivers race atleast.

By all means keep spreading the FUD, but don't think i'm not going to call you on it. I'm surprised no one else said anything. Maybe they didn't want to debate it with you or just don't care, IDK.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Forget about brand names for now. Do some basic research on forced induction (FI)which should include supercharging and turbocharging. Develop some short/long term goals for the car, and decide which mode of FI will bestmatch those goals.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Turbo for me but do what forensicsteve just said.

A turbo with a boost controller is a wonderful thing.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:41 PM
orangecrush

Money isn't the issue. Time is just that time on figuring out what I want to get out of if. What I am thinking is as much power to the rear wheels as possible with the stock bottom end without blowing it up. I am wanting that seat of the pants throw you back as soon as I hit the gas... I like fast & I like fun. I wont be out drag racing it every saturday night. but I want it fast if I decide to. I would also like to spank a vetts ***!!!!!! as far as a Turbo I don't want to loose the V8 sound. Some kits will let you keep your Exuast.. I owned a Custom shop for 10 years Had a Paxton supercharger on a 94 Chevy truck... How mush Have they changed since then???

Thank you..
P.S. I really want advise on the superchargersmore than Turbo. I know how to Do motor work its just thes new STANGS are very sinsitive!!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

I like the Saleen kit a lot.

Plus, the shaker charger!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:48 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Here is a vidoe of me and Simon1 at sac raceway, my mustang is black with a Saleen SC, his is white with a rear mounted STS turbo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JfNwwO2sko

Quick Reply: Turbo or Supercharger & witch brand?