Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I'm thinking about getting a Pypes O/R X-pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I'm thinking about getting a Pypes O/R X-pipe.

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

ORIGINAL: VistaGT

3. It's still loud as hell with the factory mufflers so getting pulled over is the cops choice. As I said still very loud, sorta obnoxious on cold starts IMO and I like loud exhaust.

LASTLY and this is my opinion. It doesnt sound as muscular as I would like with the stock mufflers. I had it with the flows and the rasp sounded terrible at some rpms but others it sounded amazing especially at WOT! Also it was always deep. When you're in the car w/ stockers it sounds very ricey and the only way I can decribe the diff btwn them and flows is when I took the flows off it sounded like it got nuetered. It was just a very high pitch exhaust note........On the contrary from the outside at WOT it does sound really good and there is no drone.
This doesn't make me feel so confident about it anymore. Thank you for your comments though, I do value your opinion.
No Problem at all glad to help. Wish I had recieved the same. Also another option may be to run the catted Bassani which I have also tried. SOunds alot better and louder than stock while not being stupid loud. Unfortunatly though you wont get that extra 10 hp from them. ANy way hope it helps and if you have any other questions feel free to PM me
Old 04-24-2008, 08:27 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Like I said before, I would be running with the stock mufflers. I found a youtube clip of an offroad H with the stock mufflers and I didn't think it sounded bad at all. To me it just sounded like a louder, slightly more raspier stock exhaust.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:23 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

One other question I have is regarding the tune. I have a Diablosport Predator so I can turn the O2 sensors off myself, but should I contact Bamachips and have him write me a new tune with the o/r pipe in mind?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Yea the H and stock mufflers would work. I've never heard it but it should just be a raspier much louder version of stock. The X is what made the stock sound ehhhh. As far as your tune im 99.9% sure that you cannot do it yourself and you have to call bama and they will shut them off. For all you know they could ALREADY be off-that was the case with my brenspeed tune. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:53 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I know I can turn on and off the o2 sensors on my tuner. What I was trying to get at was whether or not Doug would be able to further enhance the tune knowing that I'll be running no cats, or if it doesn't require any additional tuning other than turning off the o2 sensors.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Yes, you can turn them off with the predator but not in the sct (on the flash device itself, it obviously can be done in the tune), if I'm not wrong deleting the cats can make the car a little bit leaner WOT, so there is something that can be done in the tune and is actually more desirable but adding a small amount yourself with the device can work too.

I did test myself what happened with the AFR of the car in the dyno by just playing around with the spark and fuel options of the device, and specially the fuel options even making noticeable changes they were very subtle in the AFR, so playing around with 2-4% more fuel can make you get a couple of horses back without getting the AFR in risky areas, now, a global spark adder like the option Predator has is a totally different animal.

If you can get a tune or even a dyno run, even better. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:21 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Well no cats will lean out the AFR. Depending how lean you're tune is currently running Doug might want to make it run a little richer. Brenspeed said my tune didnt need any adjustment beside turning off the o2's but the best thing would be is to ask Doug, he knows best about his tune
Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Also because you run the race tune I'm guessing it's on the edge of safety lol so you might need a change to that tune, again give Doug a ring
Old 04-24-2008, 06:49 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VistaGT

1. About 10hp at the wheels

2.The install is pretty easy if you're mechanically inclined. It took me a couple of hours the first mid-pipe swap I ever did. I've done it prob 10 times since and now it's very easy and wouldnt take much time at all. One annoying thing is getting to the o2 sensor behind the factory cat. If I had more tools it prob would have been easier but that gave me trouble. Btw mine was done on ramps.

3. It's still loud as hell with the factory mufflers so getting pulled over is the cops choice. As I said still very loud, sorta obnoxious on cold starts IMO and I like loud exhaust.

4. I had the Bassani X and even though the one I got was so F***ed up I had to return it, I still think Bassani makes a great product. The reason I ike their X is because the crossover is a clamshell design and isnt just two pipes welded together. It's more a "prochamberish" crossover.

LASTLY and this is my opinion. It doesnt sound as muscular as I would like with the stock mufflers. I had it with the flows and the rasp sounded terrible at some rpms but others it sounded amazing especially at WOT! Also it was always deep. When you're in the car w/ stockers it sounds very ricey and the only way I can decribe the diff btwn them and flows is when I took the flows off it sounded like it got nuetered. It was just a very high pitch exhaust note........On the contrary from the outside at WOT it does sound really good and there is no drone.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RkrvY_OZhLA
Old 04-24-2008, 07:39 PM
craezjo
2nd Gear Member

thats an o/r h not an o/r x try this video http://youtube.com/watch?v=2CMZRMXqjtw

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about getting a Pypes O/R X-pipe.