Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I'm thinking about getting a Pypes O/R X-pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:48 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default I'm thinking about getting a Pypes O/R X-pipe.

Every since I got my car dyno'd and only put down 290whp, I've been itching for some way to get close to or exceed 300whp. People recommended that I get an O/R pipe, and I figured I might as well get an X-pipe too. I was considering the Pypes because it's the cheapest. I have a few questions about it though.

1) Approximately how much power will it add?
2) How hard is the install? Could it be done with only a set of ramps?
3) What is the likelihood of getting pulled over with an O/R pipe if I keep the stock mufflers?
4) I know Pypes isn't exactly the highest quality, is there any other brands I should consider?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:53 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I'm thinking about getting a Pypes O/R X-pipe.

that may get you there, but LT's and o/r x will definately get you over the mountain.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:55 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I can't afford any type of headers right now. I wouldn't be able to install them on my own and I know that having them install would cost a ton.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:43 PM
craezjo
2nd Gear Member

on o/r x probally just get you over the 300 mark. i had a guy quote me on the longtubes and he wanted 400 so im stickin with an o/r pipe for now also.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:54 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Does anybody know if an O/R x-pipe with the stock mufflers will sound any good, or drone?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:49 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

I know o/r h with stock mufflers sounds good, im sure o/r x will too.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:16 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I would be driving with it year round. Is there anything that I should be concerned with having an o/r pipe in the winter?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

O/R Pipes may get you pulled over, depends on how pissy your local PD is and how loud you are. I am a west coast guy, and we have an overabundance of tree-hugging law-enforcement officials [:@].

Check your smog reg's too (if applicable). Here in OR, even if you fool/bypass the O2 sensor, they have taken to putting a mirror under your car to verify presence of the Cat's, making getting by without them a pain.

In regards to the install, I don't know. If you do a search you can probably find a number of articles specific to the application you are considering. I have done it many times on other vehicles, but everyone is different.

As far as winter driving is concerned, that should not be an issue. Your Cat's are simply exhaust scrubbers, they have nothing to do with handling or traction.

In regards to the brand...Bassani FTW, but if you were to ask 100 people on this forum, you probably will get at least99 different answers. Personally I have no experience with Pypes equipment, but I have used Bassani in the past on other car's and always been happy with them.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:34 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

1. About 10hp at the wheels

2.The install is pretty easy if you're mechanically inclined. It took me a couple of hours the first mid-pipe swap I ever did. I've done it prob 10 times since and now it's very easy and wouldnt take much time at all. One annoying thing is getting to the o2 sensor behind the factory cat. If I had more tools it prob would have been easier but that gave me trouble. Btw mine was done on ramps.

3. It's still loud as hell with the factory mufflers so getting pulled over is the cops choice. As I said still very loud, sorta obnoxious on cold starts IMO and I like loud exhaust.

4. I had the Bassani X and even though the one I got was so F***ed up I had to return it, I still think Bassani makes a great product. The reason I ike their X is because the crossover is a clamshell design and isnt just two pipes welded together. It's more a "prochamberish" crossover.

LASTLY and this is my opinion. It doesnt sound as muscular as I would like with the stock mufflers. I had it with the flows and the rasp sounded terrible at some rpms but others it sounded amazing especially at WOT! Also it was always deep. When you're in the car w/ stockers it sounds very ricey and the only way I can decribe the diff btwn them and flows is when I took the flows off it sounded like it got nuetered. It was just a very high pitch exhaust note........On the contrary from the outside at WOT it does sound really good and there is no drone.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VistaGT

3. It's still loud as hell with the factory mufflers so getting pulled over is the cops choice. As I said still very loud, sorta obnoxious on cold starts IMO and I like loud exhaust.

LASTLY and this is my opinion. It doesnt sound as muscular as I would like with the stock mufflers. I had it with the flows and the rasp sounded terrible at some rpms but others it sounded amazing especially at WOT! Also it was always deep. When you're in the car w/ stockers it sounds very ricey and the only way I can decribe the diff btwn them and flows is when I took the flows off it sounded like it got nuetered. It was just a very high pitch exhaust note........On the contrary from the outside at WOT it does sound really good and there is no drone.
This doesn't make me feel so confident about it anymore. Thank you for your comments though, I do value your opinion.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about getting a Pypes O/R X-pipe.