Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

am i getting the run around from the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:05 AM
ericmuscle
1st Gear Member

Default am i getting the run around from the dealership

okay dropped my 07 mustang off at dealership(yesterday) for possible cam phaser replacement and timing chain tensioner replacement due to some slight knock (hardly can hear it) and some swishing noises at idle. i called the dealership today and they told me that nothing appears to be wrong and everything checks out normal, timing is correct, cam phasers are good, etc. they told me that the newly ford tsb told them that i shouldnt be running a fram oil filter due to it not being the right one to use cause ford uses a specialy vented oil filter for our car(when i bought my car to them to schedule an appointment that was one of the first thing the mechanic said was that i had the wrong filter on my car). does this sound right to you guys. they said it was something new..they also said to drive if for a month and if the sound is still there theyll do a major teardown. i talked to the guy who writes down the info when you first drive up to the service dept. and he was relaying info that the mechanic was telling him. they were in the process of changing the oil at the time. i mean if they were trying to screw me why would they tell me to come back in a month if i still have thesame noisesinstead of fixing it now while they have the car there. car has 9,640 miles.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Default RE: am i getting the run around from the dealership

Well an engine tear down under warranty is expensive. It just cost me nearly $1000 in labor to get a cam tension replaced in a 4-cyl Audi... I don't want to know how long it will take them with our cars. The thought I am sure is that right now they would be replacing a couple parts, but if you screw up the entire motor then they only have to do that one thing...

It's pretty much what my extended warranty company said they would rather do. It's more cost effective for them to replace a $4000 motor than replace $6000 worth of parts here and there... I am sure this is the same thing they are looking at.

You know you can always bring it to another dealer.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:37 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Im suprised theyre even willing to work with you w/ that driveshaft. I'm not sure if theyre trying to pull anything but they gotta be half way decent if they'll still honor the warranty with that. I bring my car to the dealer w/ my mods on too but a driveshaft? IMPRESSIVE.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:05 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

why the hell would the driveshaft matter

The cam phaser thing might be fine....there are tons of noises that are normal for the car so you might be hearing things that are normal

as for the filter, that sounds fishy to me.....but then again i wouldnt use a fram anyway
Old 04-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: ericmuscle

okay dropped my 07 mustang off at dealership(yesterday) for possible cam phaser replacement and timing chain tensioner replacement due to some slight knock (hardly can hear it) and some swishing noises at idle. i called the dealership today and they told me that nothing appears to be wrong and everything checks out normal, timing is correct, cam phasers are good, etc. they told me that the newly ford tsb told them that i shouldnt be running a fram oil filter due to it not being the right one to use cause ford uses a specialy vented oil filter for our car(when i bought my car to them to schedule an appointment that was one of the first thing the mechanic said was that i had the wrong filter on my car). does this sound right to you guys. they said it was something new..they also said to drive if for a month and if the sound is still there theyll do a major teardown. i talked to the guy who writes down the info when you first drive up to the service dept. and he was relaying info that the mechanic was telling him. they were in the process of changing the oil at the time. i mean if they were trying to screw me why would they tell me to come back in a month if i still have thesame noisesinstead of fixing it now while they have the car there. car has 9,640 miles.
Newer cars have tighter specs than older cars. A few years ago I wouldn't have given a second thought to using XYZ filter on my 00 V6. More and more OEM's though are getting really tight on their specs for their parts. Aftermarket has always had a lag, wasn't a big deal before. I wouldn't put anything but Motorcraft or a BETTER aftermarket part on my 08GT. I said better no equivalent. Fram would not be better or even equivalent these days.

For example K&N is barelyequivalent on the S197 to OEM. K&N used to better than OEM. To be better you have to go with an intake AND tune these days.

If the dealer points out the Fram filter, you have two three choices,
1) Comply until you get your issues resolved and use Motorcraft filters
2) Go to another dealership and see what they say
3) Stick with Fram and this dealership and hope that if they do find a problem they can't blame the filter. Oil is the engines lifeblood. Any problems found that could be affected by internal lubrication puts in to question every component in the oils path, including the filter. Keep that in mind.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

They say there's a TSB that says you shouldn't be running a Fram filter? I'd find out the TSB #. But I agree with Howarmat. I wouldn't run a Fram filter on my Stang (but I've used them for years and still do on my SUV so everyone, shutup).
Old 04-24-2008, 03:56 PM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

What filter other then motorcraft would you use?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:54 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

FRPP makes a damn good but expensive filter, otherwise yeah, motorcraft is very good and cheap
Old 04-24-2008, 05:03 PM
ericmuscle
1st Gear Member

i got back from the dealer and they changed the oil and stated the fram oil filter doesnt have a vent that allows for the oil to reach the top of the valve train due to lack of pressure build up, which could equal noise and knocks from decrease oil saturation. the mechanic was pretty persistant aboutneeding touse the motorcraft oil filters. they told me if i have anymore problems with noise to bring it back in a month and theyll do a complete tear down. i played stupid and asked can i buythe oil filtershere just to see if he was just trying to get me to come to them and buy em and have my oil changedand he said you can get at walmart to save some money. anyways the slight knock is gone at idle but i do still hear a rhythmic swishing noise at idle when standing and having my head next to the grill on the car. do any of you have the same sound. little noises like these drive me crazy can ANY of you guys tell me that this swishing noise is normal. can you check on your cars. ive only listened to it after my car was @ operating temp.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:24 PM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

Here's a previous post about filters.
https://mustangforums.com/m_4562978/tm.htm

Someone had posted a link to a site that tested a bunch of filters
http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/id15.html

Didn't have good things to say about the Fram...

Quick Reply: am i getting the run around from the dealership