Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

boomtube alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 AM
mustangdebt
1st Gear Member

Default boomtube alignment

First off, I'd like to say these things are freaking awesome. Sound sweet. Yeah there's a bit of drone around 1800 but they sound too great for me to really care.

But to the main point... I threw them on this weekend and the left side is very well aligned and pretty flush with the body. The right, though, is sticking out an extra 1/2" and probably 1/4-1/2" lower. I took it out and tried putting it back on the same way I did the left side but it only marginally improved.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and those slits on the boomtubes where they connect to the stock h-pipe obviously dont fit around those wide uh.. i dont even know what to call them -- "circular metal *****" (not screws or bolts). Whats the point?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default RE: boomtube alignment

Yes you can't get them to fit past the metal nubs at the end of the midpipe. I believe that's normal.

Mine fit pretty well but could also use some fine adjustment. First thing I would try is to take the side that's off and loosen up the hangers. Then have someone hold it in place by hand where you want it to sit and re-tighten the hangers back up. If that won't correct it well enough for you then you'll just have to get the car off the ground and get the midpipe loosened up. It's pretty easy to do from what I understand once you have the car up. Just a set of nuts and a clamp holding it in place further towards the front of the car.

Check TacoBill's writeup and you'll see. I would try loosening the hangers up first though and see if you can make any headway there.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 AM
mustangdebt
1st Gear Member

Oh, yeah its pretty centered left/right just not up/down and it sticks out. I'll try to throw it up on the ramps sometime soon and loosen the midpipe. Its just an aesthetic annoyance
Old 04-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

You might be able to make an adjustment on the up/down with the hangers but if it's sticking out then it'll take playing with the midpipe to fix it most likely. Good luck.

Glad to hear you like the tubes.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:26 PM
OneLargeToe
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
You might be able to make an adjustment on the up/down with the hangers but if it's sticking out then it'll take playing with the midpipe to fix it most likely. Good luck.

Glad to hear you like the tubes.
Bumping this older thread instead of making another...

I just had my Boomtubes installed this morning (by a service station). They sound AWESOME. However, the right exhaust is hanging noticeably lower than the left. I called them and said, hey, I need to have this adjusted more and they said there was NO adjusting them...other than maybe bending a bracket.

Is this correct? Has anyone else had trouble getting these vertically aligned and what was the solution?

Also, I noticed on AmericanMuscle's website that they recommended these for new exhaust:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...s-hangers.html

Would that make a difference? Pardon my ignorance, all I know how to do is drive the darn thing.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I ended up just paying an exhaust shop $35 to fix it. I can't even remember what they did. Was cheap enough to have it done I just said screw it and had them do it.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:04 PM
OneLargeToe
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I ended up just paying an exhaust shop $35 to fix it. I can't even remember what they did. Was cheap enough to have it done I just said screw it and had them do it.
Well, this WAS an exhaust shop. Rather, they are a service station that specializes in exhaust type work (at least I think, they have little signs up for various muffler brands like Flowmaster, etc.)
Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM
nthony

If you have the tools, you can do it yourself. All you need is a bench with a vice, MAPP gas torch (around $40 at home depot) and a hammer.

I just took mine off because they were the biggest pain in my a$$. I picked up the MBRP axle-backs and am much happier now.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Just pay the shop to fix it. They'll need to bend the hanger.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:34 PM
nthony

My guess is they didn't want to do it for the money. Find a new shop or make them fix it since you paid them to do it

Last edited by nthony; 11-24-2008 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: boomtube alignment