Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Where to Buy Mac CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Baby John

Default Where to Buy Mac CAI?

Can someone recomend a good place to buy the Mac Cold Air Intake?

I know there are several sponsors on this site so you might not want to say which is the best, but well....which is the best?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Baby John

Default RE: Where to Buy Mac CAI?

Another question

I found a Mac CAI for $229.00. Here is a picture of it.

It appears from this picture that I won't be getting the plenum with this. Just the filter.

Also in this picture of my engine bay when it originally had the Mac on it, it appears that the stock plenum is on here.

Can someone confirm this? Is this the stock plenum with the mac CAI? Or does the Mac come with an aftermarket plenum?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

why not just buy it straight from MAC?

http://www.macperformance.com/store/...ategory_ID=934

And I think what youmean to ask is if that the stock throttle body (not plenum) in your engine bay pic - in which case I would say with 99.9% certainty the answer is yes.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:19 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

I had the MAC on my white coupe and I didn't like it. First the price is right and yes, you will need a tune. Second, the air filter is huge and It will get deformed from the hood unless you cut the insulation away from the hood liner. It uses the stock air cleanertube and a different MAF tube (chrome). The chrome mounting bracket and the pretty blue filter looks great until it gets crunched! Oh, and there is no way to adjust it, so once mounted, it will get crunched. I even looked for a smaller filter, but couldn't fine one with the correct opening diameter 6"(it's huge).

[IMG]local://upfiles/21355/CD9B16EBE00D4F0B87402152D1A32036.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Baby John

Should I just get a new tune from Bama Speed that works with the K&N? & Keep the K&N?

Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

If you want to upgrade from the K&N I certainly wouldnt call the mac an upgrade. It doesnt even have an inlet pipe along with the CAI. I personally would upgrade to one like steeda, c&l etc. Then get a new tune for one of those-SERIOUS POWER
Old 04-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Baby John

Well, my problem is I can't do the serious power thing. I just want a pretty good tune. The car is my wifes so I'll hardly ever drive it. I don't want to scrap all that I've got and start over. The Mrs just isn't going to have it, if you know what I mean.

Right now the car's got the K&N and I've got a Diablo tuner. The Diablo already has a tune on it that works with the Mac.

I either get the Mac that works with the Diablo custom tune, or I get a new tune that works with the K&N.

If the Mac isn't any better than the K&N, then it seems to make more sense to get a tune that works with the K&N.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:22 PM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Baby John

I either get the Mac that works with the Diablo custom tune, or I get a new tune that works with the K&N.

If the Mac isn't any better than the K&N, then it seems to make more sense to get a tune that works with the K&N.
thought we covered this in your last thread [8D]

K&N isn't engineered to require a tune, but the MAC is. so a tune for the K&N is nearly the same as a tune for a stock intake (very little gain). A tune for the MAC, while not ideal or on the level of other intake/tune combos, is still superior to a K&N+tune.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:46 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Not trying to push anything on you b/c i understand the situation but if the mac is 230 you do have another option. A REALLY good one IMO. You spoke of either getting the MAC or a custom tune for the K&N. For $195 you can get a JLT intake that comes with an inlet pipe (it's one of the good ones) and you can go to bama and get a custom tune for $50. So for $245 you can have a tune/intake combo as good as anyones. I know it's $15 more than the mac but it seems worth it to me.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Baby John

Sorry fellas. I'm trying to keep up. Please bear with me.

So, now we've got JLT in the mix.

So I could get the JLT and a Bama Tune that could be emailed to me and downloaded onto the predator, then to the car.

I think I can swing that. I was thinking for some reason the Mac was a really good intake.

When you say it comes with the inlet tube, I'm guessing that's the same thing I was referring to as the plenum huh?

Thanks for the advice too. Don't worry about pushing something on me. I've been around these forums enough to know that for the most part, the folks that throw out advice have already tested the products and upgrades and know what works best.

Quick Reply: Where to Buy Mac CAI?