Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Installed Pypes o/r h

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:09 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Installed Pypes o/r h

ORIGINAL: Agleon

How can you tell if you have a leak?
put soapy water around the connections and start the car up....you will get some bubbling and such showing you where the leaks are
Old 04-29-2008, 07:32 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

windex works as well
Old 04-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Congrats! Same setup I have, just welded some 4" tips on.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:17 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: unlawfl

Mine leaks where the OR/H is bolted to the passenger exhaust manifold. I tried to fix but I think the original mold from Pypes was worn when stamped. I will haveto heat up and rap it to stop the leak. You may have this problem so carefully reach between the frame and exhaust manifold to check the joint area when vehicle isrunning. Don't burn yourself but if it leaks you will feel the excaping air. I am at a loss and Pypes will not return my email questions.
Pypes was no help to me at all either. Couldn't get any answers to my questions. Fitment was junk.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:00 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

I didn't get any new bolts and ended up using the old ones. Now I have a broken bolt thats pretty much froze/heat-welded in the collector flange. I've had issues with these pipes ever since I put them in. I welded the H joint together to save the trouble of leaks...not that that helped much. I had bad exhaust leaks from the get go. I'm putting the stock catted pipes back on when I can get that broken bolt out. PB Blaster hasn't been much help...
Old 04-29-2008, 11:09 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Raven27

Mine leaks where the OR/H is bolted to the passenger exhaust manifold. I tried to fix but I think the original mold from Pypes was worn when stamped. I will haveto heat up and rap it to stop the leak. You may have this problem so carefully reach between the frame and exhaust manifold to check the joint area when vehicle isrunning. Don't burn yourself but if it leaks you will feel the excaping air. I am at a loss and Pypes will not return my email questions.
Actually yes this was one of the problems I encountered. The flange on the down pipe was bottoming out on the exhaust manifold bolt stop before the pipe made a tight connection. I had this problem on both the passenger and drivers sides. I just took a large diameter drill bit to make an inset on the tops of the flanges so the flange would allow the pipes to make a tight fit to the exhaust manifold.

i had the same trouble, and my friend's shop said they did something similar to this fix. when you have time, can you supply pics, or diagrams of this fix so i can understand it better?? the reason is that i think i'm still getting a leak at the collector and would like to explain better how to fix it. thanks!!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:24 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harraid5711

ORIGINAL: Raven27

Actually yes this was one of the problems I encountered. The flange on the down pipe was bottoming out on the exhaust manifold bolt stop before the pipe made a tight connection. I had this problem on both the passenger and drivers sides. I just took a large diameter drill bit to make an inset on the tops of the flanges so the flange would allow the pipes to make a tight fit to the exhaust manifold.

i had the same trouble, and my friend's shop said they did something similar to this fix. when you have time, can you supply pics, or diagrams of this fix so i can understand it better?? the reason is that i think i'm still getting a leak at the collector and would like to explain better how to fix it. thanks!!
same problem you all are having here too. Passenger side collector. Also where the broken stud/bolt is. +1 on the pics.

The plot thickens....
Old 04-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Raven27
1st Gear Member

I will most likely be pulling it back off this weekend to weld, so I'll take some pics then.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

awesome! good luck man. I'm in the same boat as you right now
Old 05-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Raven27
1st Gear Member

Here are some pics of what I was talking about by making a countersink in the flang. This is the side that rest on the stops of the exhaust manifold bolts. You can use a dremel to make the countersink.

Quick Reply: Installed Pypes o/r h