Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Installed Pypes o/r h

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Raven27
1st Gear Member

Default Installed Pypes o/r h

Over the weekend I installed my Pypes o/r h. There were some issues with the install but I found solutions. Next week I think I'm going to pull it back off and weld it all up just to make sure I have no exhaust leaks. Over all I think this is a very good deal. I'm very happy with the sound of an o/r h and stock mufflers. I plan on keeping the stock mufflers and just welding on bigger tips.

Now I'm just waiting for my CAI and tuner to come
Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 PM
unlawfl
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Installed Pypes o/r h

Mine leaks where the OR/H is bolted to the passenger exhaust manifold. I tried to fix but I think the original mold from Pypes was worn when stamped. I will haveto heat up and rap it to stop the leak. You may have this problem so carefully reach between the frame and exhaust manifold to check the joint area when vehicle isrunning. Don't burn yourself but if it leaks you will feel the excaping air. I am at a loss and Pypes will not return my email questions.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Raven27
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: unlawfl

Mine leaks where the OR/H is bolted to the passenger exhaust manifold. I tried to fix but I think the original mold from Pypes was worn when stamped. I will haveto heat up and rap it to stop the leak. You may have this problem so carefully reach between the frame and exhaust manifold to check the joint area when vehicle isrunning. Don't burn yourself but if it leaks you will feel the excaping air. I am at a loss and Pypes will not return my email questions.
Actually yes this was one of the problems I encountered. The flange on the down pipe was bottoming out on the exhaust manifold bolt stop before the pipe made a tight connection. I had this problem on both the passenger and drivers sides. I just took a large diameter drill bit to make an inset on the tops of the flanges so the flange would allow the pipes to make a tight fit to the exhaust manifold.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Agleon
2nd Gear Member

How can you tell if you have a leak?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:44 PM
Raven27
1st Gear Member

If the leak has been there a while there should be a black residue on the pipes or manifolds where exhaust has been leaking out.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Raven27

If the leak has been there a while there should be a black residue on the pipes or manifolds where exhaust has been leaking out.

Usually you don't want to wait till that's an indicator but h's right. A more immediate find is seeing and hearing the exhaust escaping. One you can see the smoke coming off and two you can also hear it. Listen for a ticking noise like tikytikytiky very fast. These are all clear signs
Old 04-29-2008, 09:15 AM
sdonaghey
2nd Gear Member

Is this the new 4 piece design of the O/R H-pipe? I have been thinking of getting it, but I am a little concerned of issues during the install, since I was looking at doing it myself in my garage.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Raven27
1st Gear Member

Yes this is the 4 piece. It may require some modification to have good connections. Pypes includes 2 clamps for the pipes coming off the exhaust manifolds to connect to the H. These clamps didn't really seem to work very well so I bougth 2 exhaust clamps like the one used to clamp at the H.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:26 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Does anybody know if the Pypes O/R X-pipe has similar fitting issues that their H-pipe does?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I'm sure of it. All of pypes products leave something to be desired w/ quality. They are priced to sell though

Quick Reply: Installed Pypes o/r h