Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cheap No Spring Cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 PM
motoxdirtrider84
2nd Gear Member

Default Cheap No Spring Cams

What do you think of the NSR (No Springs Required) cams that Brenspeed offer? There $645 but they only charge $280 to install.

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/camshafts.html

Update: I just searched for these and found that there was a thread on this back in February. Didnt seem like anyone had experience with them yet, what about 2 months later, anyone?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:04 PM
mustard05
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cheap No Spring Cams

ive learned from experience that when it comes to performance, its not smart to be cheap, you get what you pay for and its better to be safe than to be sorry. just because its cheap doenst mean its from god ya know
Old 04-28-2008, 10:26 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

I don't like any of the cams for a modular motor. I've seen first hand the power they make and the power they don't make. Above 3,000 RPMs you've got an extra 30 rwhp. Below that and you've lost 30 rwhp. No thanks, part throttle power goes to ****.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:27 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Why would you pay close to a grand for a different exhaust note? Plus there is no guarantee that those cams won't add wear to your stock springs with the different grind... This is not a good path for me so IMHO I'd put that money towards something worthwhile. I will get cams when my motors sprawled apart to get better internals and a 8 rib pully kit. But i have boost
Old 04-29-2008, 04:41 PM
blackice05
1st Gear Member

ive seen many people get these installed and they have gotten 20+ HP gains at peak. They seem like a pretty good gain for about a grand imo.

That is a graph from the link above and it shows very little lose in HP on the lower end. It does have some small loses in torque but this is also a very mildy modded setup from reading the link.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

You call a loss of close to 20 fl/lbs offpeak a small loss?? Not to mention that it's right at 3100 rpm's.. which is right in the range of where most part throttle daily driving occurs. Down low, torque is what you feel, and to me, these cams just seem to compromise driveability in a way that would be very harmful to an NA daily driven car. If the car is going to live at high RPM's, then these sure would be nice... It sucks because I would really like to Cam my car..but I am not going to neuter it in the low RPM ranges to pick up a few horse up top.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

I have to agree with GT Bob on this one, unless your car is a Track Monster I don't see the point. I mean how often do you run at 5500RPM on the street? I have seriously considered these as well as various Stage 2/3 Cams from different manufacturers and talked to a number of tuners in my area, and all say the same thing. Save your money, and replace your Cams and Valve springs when you have the money to port/polish the heads, etc. Then you will see some real gains. Just MHO
Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

^^^^ and if your car is a track monster, you shouldn't be buying NSR cams
Old 04-30-2008, 04:27 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

No cams unless they are BBR stage two cams point end of story

Andrew
Old 04-30-2008, 08:34 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I want to see some dyno runs with the FRPP Hot Rod cams.

I'm with GT Bob on this one, this graph was very dissapointing to me and I care more about low-end power since I'm street DD. I REALLY want a good cam lope but I will not allow a loss in low end power.

Quick Reply: Cheap No Spring Cams