Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Axle-backs Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 PM
ov3r
1st Gear Member

Default FRPP Axle-backs Issue

The passenger side exhaust is pulling off the over axle pipe. Ive noticed that when i attempt to tighten the clamp it starts to pull away from the axle pipe. Are they suppose to be pulling away or is the pre-load on the h-pipe causing this? Would all i have to do is just loose h pipe and then attempt to set pipes to where they dont pull away from each other? Sorry if this is confusing
Old 04-29-2008, 09:15 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: FRPP Axle-backs Issue

Are you running the GTA's or the 5GT's?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: FRPP Axle-backs Issue

ORIGINAL: ov3r

The passenger side exhaust is pulling off the over axle pipe. Ive noticed that when i attempt to tighten the clamp it starts to pull away from the axle pipe. Are they suppose to be pulling away or is the pre-load on the h-pipe causing this? Would all i have to do is just loose h pipe and then attempt to set pipes to where they dont pull away from each other? Sorry if this is confusing
Yes.. it sounds like you need to take the preload off the over-axle pipes. I followed one of Taco-Bills's write-ups on exhaust leaks & centering tips... worked like a charm.. excerpts below:

After you have the hanger support brackets installed nice and tight, you may notice one or both sides of the [axle-back muffler] pipe pulling away from that indexing rivet on the mid-pipe or that the tips are not centered within the bumper cut-outs. This is due to preload of the pipes. What you’ll need to do is to get to the mid-pipe clamp and loosen the two 15mm nuts on it. No need to loosen it all the way, just enough to where there’s slop in the pipes (you’ll feel it). With both clamps loose (over-axle and mid-pipe), center your exhaust tip in the bumper cut-out and make sure the [axle-back muffler] pipe is indexed all the way in that notch where the rivet is. This is where an extra pair of hands will come in handy… have someone hold the position of the exhaust tip while you tighten the over-axle clamp first, then the mid-pipe clamp last. Some may argue that the best way to center the tips is to bend the hanger rods. Although this practice may work, why bend and alter something if you don't have to?