MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   'Whistling' sound coming from car (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/439918-whistling-sound-coming-from-car.html)

Xeno 04-30-2008 07:24 PM

'Whistling' sound coming from car

I was hoping some of you could help me figure out a noise coming from my car. The best way to describe it would be a whistle (something like the sound a turbo or a supercharger makes as it winds up). It only does it in the 1800-2200 rpm range in 1st and maybe 2nd gear. Also, I only hear it on the right side of my car. I do have an automatic, so I wasn't sure if it may be a normal sound or maybe something wrong. Other people have heard the sound before, so I know I am not crazy [8D]. [/align][/align]One idea I came up with is a bad catalytic converter because I get a real bad sulfur smell when I start my car and when I get home after driving a while.I am guessing it is either the transmission or my cats because I have isolated the sound to that area. Hopefully I can figure out what is wrong before my warranty ends.[/align]

stealth_GT 04-30-2008 07:29 PM

RE: 'Whistling' sound coming from car

my car does the same thing..08 CS/GT auto.

it does sound like a supercharger but really faint..don't think there is anything wrong
being that it drives just fine and no problems.

craezjo 04-30-2008 09:32 PM

same problem sounds like a whine of a supercharger but much quieter. my car also seems to bog when i shift to 3rd.

acdc163 05-01-2008 12:36 AM

Get some SLP loudmouths or boomtubes and problem will be fixed[8D]

Xeno 05-01-2008 12:37 AM

Well, it looks like this sound is coming from both manuals and autos. that makes me think it is not really a transmission problem... my guess would be something exhaust related. driveshaft maybe? [/align][/align]It is not a really loud sound (it doesn't bother me when I am driving). I really only hear it while driving with the windows down and radio off. I'm just hoping there is nothing wrong, otherwise, I will use that sound to scare away ricers (make them think i am F/I [8D]) I do have GTA exhaust, though. I have heard boomtubes and other exhaust like it, but I didn't want the drone (had an 02 v6 with straight duals before this car; drone drove me crazy).[/align]

stealth_GT 05-01-2008 02:19 AM

it sounds like some sort of valves are opening and closing during acceleration...

Diabolical! 05-01-2008 02:27 AM

I get a whistle as well;)

moosestang 05-01-2008 02:34 AM

Does it do it with your foot off the gas? Mine has a faint whistle, but not when I'm just coasting with no throttle.

Diabolical! 05-01-2008 02:50 AM

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Does it do it with your foot off the gas? Mine has a faint whistle, but not when I'm just coasting with no throttle.
Me? I always have a very faint whistle. However, I rode in a non-intercooled whippled GT with 6psi, and the whistle was not present. Maybe it isn't as noticable with the 8 lb. pulley? (Sorry about the thread hijack.)

Xeno 05-01-2008 09:26 AM

I can understand a whistle sound coming from those of you with Whipples ;), but I don't have a supercharger or turbo. It does not make the sound with my foot off the gas; only under light acceleration.Any rpms above or below the 1800-2200 range does not make the sound. I did take it to the dealer where I bought my car a few months ago; they did hear the sound, but they thought it wasn't 'normal' (the tech was thinking exhaust). They wern't much help fixing it though [>:].[/align][/align]btw, Nice pic in your sig moosestang[/align]