Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3.4L Whipple first drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:27 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

Default 3.4L Whipple first drive

Well it has been a long road, but my car is almost completeI flew down to ST Motorsports yesterday and spent the day at the shop. My 4r70w tranny that they were installing took longer than expected, so we did not get to go to the track[&:]We did get it together for a little test ride though. Adam was at the wheel and let me tell you that I do not know that Redfire car anymore[:-]It used to be a pretty fast car, but now it is freaking Lucifer. Adam launched (17" M&H dr's) and it hooked with a little slide, hit second and more slide. The G force glued me to the seat and poped one of my axel back Borlas off (I installed those). I will not ride in my car again, I get scared when I am not in controll.
Anyway here are some links from my build and a picture of the stock tranny's input shaft that snapped last week. BTW Clutchmasters did a prototype twin disk for my car and it has stock pedal feel and grips like crazy. It was the one that was used when for the snappage. ST has them with aluminum pressure plate for 1200 or so. One more item...Adam has the 3.4L Whipple kit complete for sale. Whipple is boxing them as a complete kit and due to
Adam doing all the R & D Adam is the only one who can sell them
https://mustangforums.com/m_4372455/tm.htm
Picture of my shaft (input is not working[:@]) I will post it later.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:39 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 3.4L Whipple first drive

i'm glad it's almost finished

are you planning to drive it home

Old 05-02-2008, 09:43 PM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

i'm glad it's almost finished

are you planning to drive it home

Up in the air, probably auto transport. Either way it is almost home
Old 05-02-2008, 09:53 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Well, as long as I don't break my input shaft, I will be happy.
You know, the advantage of havingyour prototype clutch....is its getting a lot of attention from those who built it. You know for a fact that there will be no manufacturing flaws.

I'm still wondering how much power the 3.4L takes to make 14psi boost, vs the 2.3L.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:02 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

keep us posted
cant wait for some video![sm=gears.gif]
Old 05-02-2008, 11:37 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

awesome sawyer ... I cant wait for the day i'm in that point in which you are atm !! Hope everything works out perfect with your ride!
Old 05-03-2008, 12:06 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Congrats Jon! You deserve it and need to enjoy the fruits of Adams labor and your money!!!!! J
Old 05-03-2008, 01:37 AM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

Well, as long as I don't break my input shaft, I will be happy.
You know, the advantage of havingyour prototype clutch....is its getting a lot of attention from those who built it. You know for a fact that there will be no manufacturing flaws.

I'm still wondering how much power the 3.4L takes to make 14psi boost, vs the 2.3L.
The first one was a single disk and had the pressure of a mack truck to push it in. Adam melted that one at California Speedway. Then Lonnie at Clutchmasters made the one your getting and it started breaking parts

At 14 psi I think it would be close....at 20 psi there is 100 extra ponies available. I will be running 17psi for the street and track. Adam's wifes car is laying down 10.xx runs with the 2.3 Whipple. She even has a stock crank in it with forged pistons and Scat rods.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:42 AM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MexGT

awesome sawyer ... I cant wait for the day i'm in that point in which you are atm !! Hope everything works out perfect with your ride!
Your going to be there MEX, with all the research you've done you like me figured out the right shop and direction to go reguardles of distance. Honestly I do not know if I can handle this car[&:], but I will have a whole lot of fun trying[8D]
Old 05-03-2008, 01:44 AM
sawyer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onederful100

keep us posted
cant wait for some video![sm=gears.gif]
Sorry for the triple post,
I will get some video at the track and maybe some from inside soon.

Quick Reply: 3.4L Whipple first drive