Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

500 hp HO Whipple Destroys engines!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:49 AM
HoorayBeer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 500 hp HO Whipple Destroys engines!!!!

did the dealer mention getting variable valve timing and lift electronic control before a s/c install
Old 05-12-2008, 06:09 AM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: EricM

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Roush has their own warranty and of course they aren't pushing much power. Saleen has a warranty, but there are a lot of requirements, like it being installed at a saleen authorized dealer and running the saleen tune. If brenspeed installs your saleen, I doubt seriously that your local dealer is going to warranty anything.
Brenspeed is a Speedlab facility, so as long as you don't get one of their Stage packages and stick with the 475 HP Saleen tune, you'll have the remainder of your 3/35 warranty from Saleen.
Well why doesn't brenspeed mention that? You'd think that'd be a big selling point if it were true. I see nothing on saleens site or brenspeed claiming any kind of warranty with the 475hp package.
On their main web page in the ad that changes every few seconds one says Authorized Saleen Speedlab Installation Facility. It also says that in the descriptions for both of the SCs that use the Saleen tune. And read the description of the third car down.

http://www.brenspeed.com/customers/index.html

Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

[sm=noooo.gif] That rep is full of BS.

Like everything in Life there is balance of Risk and Reward.

First some of the stuff is just plain wrong. Like for 1 FRPP sends you a 91 octane tune. Second I did tons of research before I purchased and I didnt come across anyone who broke their motor with the Whipple HO kit as delivered. Bolt it on, put on the FRPP tune and drive it. Chances of breakage are small.

Anytime you start to modify the car you have to plan for the worst. Too many variables out there, but the probability is low. Use some common sense when you drive and dont push the envelope and you motor will last a long time. If you are really worried just buy the HO and run the 8psi pulley. I would bet my car that the motor would last 100k miles with the 8psi pulley and FRPP tune and make 420rwhp.

IMO the reward is worth the risk, but is you dont have the $$ to play, stay out of the sand box.

If I popped my motor I would be pretty PO'd for about 15mins, then I would be stoked, since a forged SB would be on the way and that means more boost .

Lifes too short have fun.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:36 PM
JCW06

ive got over 20000 miles on my roush car, roughly 8 after turning up the boost and reprogramming it it hasnt give me the least bit of trouble
Old 05-14-2008, 04:48 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I stand correct. They should put that on the sales page for those that need a warranty to feel safe.

I still wouldn't hold my breath if you are one of the unlucky ones with a weak rod from the factory. Saleen will just say the stock rod was defective.

ORIGINAL: EricM

On their main web page in the ad that changes every few seconds one says Authorized Saleen Speedlab Installation Facility. It also says that in the descriptions for both of the SCs that use the Saleen tune. And read the description of the third car down.

http://www.brenspeed.com/customers/index.html

Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 PM
ShadowMaster

Sounds to me like that Ford rep needs to be banished from talking to customers. Get the intercooled version if that is what you want. Just make sure you have a reputable tuner standing by when you're done with the installation.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:11 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

I'm with the majority on this one. I wouldn't put a non cooled version of a ANY FI kit on these cars.

Although many have held over 500 rwhp on the stock motor (myself included for quite a while) any builder/tuner worth a damn will tell you that due to the size of the stock rods, pushing 500+ HP is a matter of time. Motors are not created equal and you may get 2 years or you may get 2 days, but I promise you if you push over 500 rwhp on the stock bottom end, you will eventually be looking for a new motor.

A lot of it also has to do with how the motor is pushed. A guy making 520 rwhp shifting the car on average 4500-5000 rpm on the street and once in a while going to the track shifting at 6000-6500 rpm actually has a better chance of keeping his motor intact than the guy making 480 rwhp and driving the car hard on the street shifting 6000-6500 and taking it to 7K at the track.

Tuning, of course, plays a big factor, but a lot of people forget how the car is driven and spun make a big difference in longevity as well.

Fact - the lower you spin your car, the longer the motor will last (good tunes considered of course)

Even at 450 - if you like to spin your car 7K+ - then you can't expect the car to stay together forever...

Sounds to me like that Ford rep needs to be banished from talking to customers.
Sad but very true...

Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: crazystylin

Last night I found out that a relative works for Ford and can get all parts close to 1/2 off.

Of course, I start drooling. I call a random Ford dealership today and start chatting with a parts rep. I inquired as to the 500HP Whipple HO.

He started in on me and said that I may want to stick with the non-IC version because the HO will put significant pressure on my bottom end, and will severely decrease engine life - throw bearings, rods, blow gaskets, etc... He also said that the system was designed for 93 octane, and while you could tune for 91 (I live in CA and 93= unavailable) one would have to purchase the highest quality 91 (not Costco, ARCO, Al's gasoline, etc..)

He said that applying that much HP that Whipple HO will break something in 20K miles!!!!!!!!!!!

He said for daily driving applicatons it may be best to run less HP. He then said that the 400HP non-IC kit is still plenty powerful but puts less stress on the engine.

This may ring true to a degree, it is a fact that the more HP you have the more engine stress. But what is the truth? Only those whipple HO owners with over 20K miles can be the judge.

HOW MANY MILES DO YOU HAVE ON YOUR WHIPPLE HO?

The rep may have been right, he may have been overly cautious, or he may not know much (unlikely).

So while I am sure that most of you will defend your Whipple to the grave, what say you to this Ford Rep's characterization of WHipple HOs?

Engine Killer or Engine Friend.
The person who you spoke to obviously doesn't know what they're talking about. Ask them how many kits they've sold and how their customers cars are running. He'll most likely tell you he hasn't sold one but has a friend of a friend who has a friend who knows someone who's got a Whipple. As Whipple's largest US distributor I've sold more HO Kits than any single dealer. We actually released the 05 HO Kits for Whipple before Ford Racing took delivery of them. To this day I haven't heard from any of our customers on an engine failure at all. 10 psi though the intercooled setup is just as safe as 6-7psi through no intercooler. Granted anything could happen but the Whipple HO is far from how you decided to name this thread. Instead it should be called " I spoke to an idiot at Ford".

Jared
Old 05-15-2008, 01:23 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Boostaddict... thats a good idea...maybe I should change the title of this thread to "I spoke to an idiot at Ford"!
Old 05-15-2008, 02:14 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Boostaddict... thats a good idea...maybe I should change the title of this thread to "I spoke to an idiot at Ford"!
PLEASE, lol.

Quick Reply: 500 hp HO Whipple Destroys engines!!!!