Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

JDM vs Brenspeed vs Dyno tune.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Wanderlai
1st Gear Member

Default JDM vs Brenspeed vs Dyno tune.

Which is the better "tune" to get. JDM says that if I get Brenspeeds tune I will eventually call them for a new tune due to Brenspeed not having much on their bottom end with the Saleen SC'ers. I've heard good things about both companies but is their a real difference in their tunes? I want the Brenspeed Stage3 Saleen upgrade kit but with a GT500 fuel pump. I'd like to get 450-470 rwhp. I know Brenspeed's tunes arent tuned for that much rwhp but JDM said that 470rwhp is fine with their Stage 2 kit. Fastlane Motorsports, where installation will be done, said 470rwhp with their dyno tune is fine. So, which is the better option...JDM, Brenspeed, or custon dyno tune?

Oh is the KBBAP o.k. at 450-470rwhp or should I just get a GT500 fuel pump?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: JDM vs Brenspeed vs Dyno tune.

the custom dyno is generally best....

however... you could get the Brenspeed and JDM tunes via email for what $75-100 each. why not just try all three? if ur gonna drop all the cash for the S/C get the others to compare
Old 05-10-2008, 12:30 AM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

Go with fastlane if its the fastlane in houston, ive heard many good things about them, they have a beastly TT setup, ive seen it at the track.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:31 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

And if you call Brenspeed they'll tell you "If you get the JDM tune you'll just be calling us in a few months because X"... All of them are trying to sell something, that's why they are in business.

With that said, I have a DYNO tune from Brenspeed, and I'm happy with it. They did it when I drove out there for my installation.

Bottom end? My dyno sheet says I make about 375 ft/lbs @ 2500.. I think that's pretty decent.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:08 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

You really need to ask?

Which would you rather wear.. a shirt that is custom tailored to your body so that it will fit perfectly and move with you in perfect harmony.. or just some shirt off the rack that fits ok?

I know I keep saying this to the point I may just add it to my sig... Mail order tunes are a best guess... Dyno tunes done are done to exactly what the data says your car likes.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:34 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Here's the deal, with N/A cars the mail order Brenspeed tune is perfect and you may only get another 2 hp from a dyno tune. I have personally seen and heard this over and over.

Now Saleen S/C cars are a whole 'nother story. If you live near a reputable dyno tuner with alot of experience tuning Saleens, definitely go with the Dyno tune. The setup you're looking at is not a standard "package" setup that Brenspeed supplies since you're adding the GT500 pumps. This makes the fuel delivery and output just slightly different enough to not be a perfect tune they will email you.

Secondly, if you had to get an Email tune and are looking at both companies to do this, you'd better start with Brenspeed, here's why. Brenspeed uses a Steeda intake, a stock MAF sensor, and occasionally a SCT MAFia. JDM can write a tune for this ($180) that should work well too. IF you buy the package from JDM, they use a Lightning MAF. Brenspeed cannot write a tune for this as of yet, as they have no experience using this MAF (I called and inquired). JDM can write a tune for either.VMP on the other hand, while they can write a tune for either as well,will send you a baseline tune you really need to data log multiple times, or do a dyno run with in order to fine tune it. So if you're the kind of guy who wants multiple tunes in his SCT and compare them then get the kit and package from Brenspeed and then request tunes from various other companies. But you'll never be truly happy until you put them on a dyno to be assured they're spot on. This is why exx1976and others who had a custom dyno tune are so satisfied, they know his tune is perfectly safe.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Wanderlai
1st Gear Member

Thanks to all that provoded feedback. I thought a custom dyno tune would be best but I see so many guys with Saleen SC'ers running canned tunes from either Brenspeed or JDM.

Another question... Which is the better upgrade kit: JDM's Stage 2 for $1545 or Brenspeeds Stage 3 for $1486? With either one I plan on getting a GT500 fuel pump just to be safe. I've never heard one bad thing with the Kenne Bell BAP's but wouldnt it be better to just get the GT500 fuel pump?
Old 05-10-2008, 04:36 PM
mustard05
2nd Gear Member

i sent you a pm.

and for everyone, thier all about getting thier money, both shops are good because i have delt with both, and both are greedy as can be, and in the end only a custon will be perfect
Old 05-10-2008, 06:19 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

The one thing I've not seen on this forum is Brenspeed ever saying anything negative towards another tuner or vendor. I think that's why I've always felt I was dealing with a place that had some class. I know there are probably people in the Missouri area I could deal with but I always go with Brent on major purchases and assemblys of major components. It's a long haul for me but it is always worth it.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:09 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

but I see so many guys with Saleen SC'ers running canned tunes from either Brenspeed or JDM.
How do you know they're 'canned'?

Quick Reply: JDM vs Brenspeed vs Dyno tune.