Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Free Clutch Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 12:03 AM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Default Free Clutch Installation

So here's the deal.. I've been having a weird shuddering problem that comes and goes when i engage the clutch in 1st mostly... its like when I hit that point where the clutch grabs and begins to catch power, the car shudders, violently sometimes, and it's a very bad vibration/hopping feeling... Well I talked to my service guy who I've known for a long time, he told me it sounds like a bad pressure plate. They're going to replace it under warranty, and he was telling me that since they're already going to be in there, he wouldn't mind throwin in a new clutch disk if I wanted to buy one... Question to you guys is, which clutch should i go with? I keep hearing great things about centerforce and the spec stage 3, but any opinions? Also, do you guys think its a good idea to have them do that, because they're doing it off the record, if I have a problem, I can't bring it to them, but I save mad money in a clutch install, so what are your guys' thoughts? Oh and forgot to add that I'm going to be getting the Saleen 540HP kit put on my car soon by HCM so that's why I'm thinking it's a perfect time to get this done..
Old 05-10-2008, 01:59 AM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Free Clutch Installation

Bump??

Old 05-10-2008, 03:29 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Get the mcleod RST twin disc! Great for any FI and very streetable stock like pedal feel and good for 900 ft/lbs TQ! But the above mentioned are great too and I have heard good and bad about spec but mostly with the spec stg 2. hope it helps and if you get the clutch and pressure plate new/fixed I dont think you will have any warranty issues with that area even after the S/C!
Old 05-10-2008, 04:15 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

the stock clutch should definately not shudder like you describe. My spec stage 2 doesn't even do that.

So far my spec stage 2 with spec steel flywheels is working great. It has an on/off feel to it, but it's still very easy to drive with it

Pedal pressure is the same as stock.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:22 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

The Mcleod RST is one of the best on the market, it is expensive as far as clutches go, but it should hold anything you throw at it.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:29 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Would you guys suggest getting an aftermarket flywheel as well? I'll be putting down 465 to the wheels, but thats not a ridiculous number to the point where like an aluminum flywheel would be needed right? But yea I definitely have been hearing a lot of great things about the McLeod, probably gonna get that. No reason to cheap out on something that can put you out of commission real quick..
Old 05-10-2008, 06:38 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

Derek, did you by any chance just lower your car or put in a new d/s? Mine did that with the aluminum d/s. When I put on the adj uca and the stock d/s it went away. Just a idea.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxDerek

Would you guys suggest getting an aftermarket flywheel as well? I'll be putting down 465 to the wheels, but thats not a ridiculous number to the point where like an aluminum flywheel would be needed right? But yea I definitely have been hearing a lot of great things about the McLeod, probably gonna get that. No reason to cheap out on something that can put you out of commission real quick..
There is no point that you would need an aluminum flywheel, but i would recommend an aftermarket one, rather than have your stock one resurfaced. Just buy a flywheel from whomever is making the clutch you choose and there are aftermarket billet steel flywheels. I have such a flywheel.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:31 PM
john111987
1st Gear Member

Fidanza 4.3 and aluminum flywheel, it's rated at 725 ft/lbs and is very streetable. Not too expensive either.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:13 AM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

I'm likin the look of that fidanza and the price as well. i don't want to cheap out on a clutch, but the McLeod is VERY pricey... so here is probably a stupid question but since they are replacing the pressure plate under warranty, would it be okay to use the stock pressure plate with like the fidanza disc and flywheel, or do you have to use their ( or any companies kit ) pressure plate along with the other components to match up? I'm new to this stuff so hey don't be to hard on me

Quick Reply: Free Clutch Installation