Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hot Rod vs. NSR

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:37 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hot Rod vs. NSR

I recommended stage 2 comps to saleen only because they have a nice idle and comp told me that they were the best for supercharging applications (most hp gains). But like earlier stated, he is in it for the sound.

SirKnight, those cams though in the white S197 still sound rediculous for hot rod cams. That sounds like a car with BBR stage 2 or stage 3 comps... which springs are high recommended. But I probably shouldnt judge based off of sound.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:25 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x_1DVmLNfH8

I think these are going in my new motor setup.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:31 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

Id do the hot rod cams. But I might be able to get my buddy to install them for free. But if I do cams I doing ported heads to and I dont have the dough for that so n2o here I come.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:09 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I still can't find Stage 3 comp cam video clips for the S197. I find them for the older mustangs. I want to hear what the stage 3 comps that Brenspeed sells sounds like. I already know what kind of power gains to expect. Brenspeed has a pretty nice article on that.

I have heard some bad things about BBR cams so I don't know. When I asked the guys at Brenspeed about them, they didn't seem to excited about them either. There's a reason why they only carry comps. I also would NEVER use re-grinds. I've heard about the material added to re-grinds wear off over time and ruin your valvetrain and possibly more. They're cheaper for a reason.

IMO, Comp Cams are the only cams anyone should consider at this current time for the S197. I was interested in what Crane cams has but there's no info about them to make a good informed decision. Comp cams are quality though for sure.

Check this page out: http://www.compcams.com/3valve/

They have some pretty exciting looking grinds on there. I really like the XFI SPR models. Sure those require more work and tuning, but it looks like they would have the best idle sound and best performance.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:19 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Looking at the dyno chart on that page, the XFI SPR stage 2 is the way to go. You don't lose any power at the low end like you do with NSR and VSR but gain a lot more than those two on the high end. Nice.

Hmm, somehow Jim D'Amore reports a 72 rwhp gain on a NA engine and comps. I wonder if he used the stage 3 XFI SPR, which unfortunately do not show on their dyno chart.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:28 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

I will be getting the hot rod cams here shortly. If I get the same sound as the white mustang I will be so stoked!!! Not really getting cams for performance, mostly a sound mod. Call mesilly but nothing compares to that lopy idle ,...not evenhp.. but I am also s/c so yeah...nuff said..
Old 05-16-2008, 10:51 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

SirKinight, I swear I have seen stage 3 comps on youtube. Again, on a restricted server but at work I will look it up. It was a red S197 and the guy shows before and after video clips of his exhaust.

And I agree with you to an extent. Comp is good. I am considering being one of the test subjects however for another company. Im going to wait for Sutton to release their results.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:41 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

Comp stage III cams:
http://media.putfile.com/Comp-Stage-3-cams

That's with BBK headers, Bassani catted x-pipe, and Mac muffler. I now have JBA longtubes and off road h-pipe (same Macs) but never got around to making a video yet...

John
Old 05-16-2008, 06:09 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

That sounds pretty sweet. Are those the same stage 3 comps that Brenspeed sells?

I'm starting to get confused now. What brenspeed is calling stage 3 is actually stage 2 according to Comp Camps (see the comp cams 3-valve link above). I checked and the part number (127300) and grind numbers (XE261H-15) match. Well mostly, the cams on comp's site says -15.5.

Also, the "stage 3" from the above video sounds a lot more lopey than what I see on youtube called stage 4. I have no idea what the stage 4 is since comp cams does not mention that.

I'm going to send Brenspeed an email about this stage number thing.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:15 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

I was at the world street challenge today and stoped by the Ford Racing both and asked what kind of power gains to expect with the hotrod cams and he said on their N/A car they gained 40 rwhp.

Quick Reply: Hot Rod vs. NSR