Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

surging throttle and heat soak

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Default surging throttle and heat soak

Well.. today I noticed that if i gave it only a little pressure on the gas pedal the RPMs and engine would start surging up and down. Checked the engine and.. yup.. CAI tube got disconnected from the filter.. as I was putting it back on I noticed that the tube meets with the hose for the radiator.. and it was HOT.. the section of tube that it was touching was hot to the touch as well.

So.. do you guys think this hot section of intake tube could cause intake temps to rise, thus causing significant decrease in performance? I suppose the only scientific way to check would be to measure the temps before and after it gets through the tube.. anyone hear of anyone trying that? It looks like on most CAI that issue is common.. in particular though the Steeda bends down into the tube. Causing a larger section of the intake to be touched by hot radiator hose.. or.. would this be very small amount in increase temp as compared to overall engine bay temp causing performance issues?

I've read in magazines how these cars are notoriously bad about heatsoak.. one article I found said it caused a decrease in performance by .5 in the 1/4... looking for a way to reduce that..
Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: surging throttle and heat soak

Ummmm, no. I have monitored intake temps (at the MAF, not after my blower) and ambient temp while moving and the difference is 2-5 degrees. Your radiator hose being close to the intake tube isn't going to affect that by any noticeable amount.

When you are moving and especially at WOT, you are sucking in cold air to fast for a radiator hose to heat it up. If you are sitting at a light, then your intake temps are going to be high from the heat of the motor and again something touching the intake tube isn't going to matter.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Default RE: surging throttle and heat soak

Your whole engine bay is hot. Parts of your engine is going to be much hotter than your intake tube. Heat soak really is a problem. I losed 11 rwhp from my first dyno run and third.