Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:46 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Motor Mounts

My Saleen chewed through the hood liner and into the aluminum hood. I installed the stock MM's w/ Prothanes' and that cured the problem.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

My Saleen chewed through the hood liner and into the aluminum hood. I installed the stock MM's w/ Prothanes' and that cured the problem.
Sorry man, I'm just a little confused. Did you replace the stock MMs with the prothanes MMs? Or is this some kind of conjunction of using parts of both? How much clearance did this give you?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:21 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanSpeed

Sorry man, I'm just a little confused. Did you replace the stock MMs with the prothanes MMs? Or is this some kind of conjunction of using parts of both? How much clearance did this give you?
lol no, no. You gotta take the stock mounts out to install aftermarket motor mounts.

The stock mounts are oil filled whereas the Prothane mounts are solid. As a result, more drivetrain vibration is felt in the cabin because they don't absorb as much vibration as the oil filled mounts. However, there's less less drivetrain torque loss due to the motor being kept more stationary.

I'm not sure how much clearance was gained but 1/2" is a reasonable guess (can't see in there when the hood is closed, lol). And no more aluminum dust on my inlet tube and the holes in the hood aren't getting any bigger, either.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

I'd read elsewhere tha the Prothane Bullet motor mounts actually increased the height of the motor in the engine bay. It seemed crazy when I heard it... but you're saying it actually lowers the engine? I was hoping to remove some play from the drivetrain and was going to go with the Prothanes except for what I'd read earlier. So, I'd like to know who's correct on this.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:40 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I changed mine, but didn't like the added vibration. It was pretty smooth when cruising and WOT, but at part throttle and starting from a stop, I could feel the exhaust through my ***. It's really something you have to try, lots of people love them. If i had to replace the stock ones because of a failure, then I would probably go back to the prothane.

The whipple does not rub anything.

ORIGINAL: AmericanSpeed

ORIGINAL: moosestang

It's not more than an hour job, so $80 is all i'd expect to pay. I'll change yours for $50.
Have you changed yours? If so, has changing them out allowed for more space so that you dont have to cut the underlining to make sure the whipple doesn't rub? I'm thinking about getting these and doing them with the whipple install.

/end thread highjack
Old 06-10-2008, 03:47 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kotobuki

I'd read elsewhere tha the Prothane Bullet motor mounts actually increased the height of the motor in the engine bay. It seemed crazy when I heard it... but you're saying it actually lowers the engine? I was hoping to remove some play from the drivetrain and was going to go with the Prothanes except for what I'd read earlier. So, I'd like to know who's correct on this.
I told you the truth.lol

Just curious, where is "elsewhere" if you don't mind my asking.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:51 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I don't believe they raise the motor, if they do it's negligible. They don't lower the motor though, only the ones from jdm engineering do that. I believe they shave 1/2 inch of metal off the top.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

I told you the truth.lol

Marty, just guys talking about them on some forums somewhere. Either here or elsewhere, I don't quite recall. It certainly wasn't an expert source, that's for certain... but it WAS off-putting. Where ever it was, they had mentioned (as moosestang did) the JDM's (or something similar) as a solution to the "lift" problem.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:07 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

I told you the truth.lol

Marty, just guys talking about them on some forums somewhere. Either here or elsewhere, I don't quite recall. It certainly wasn't an expert source, that's for certain... but it WAS off-putting. Where ever it was, they had mentioned (as moosestang did) the JDM's (or something similar) as a solution to the "lift" problem.
I did just looked at my JDM receipt and itdescribes them as "cut motor mounts" so there could be some truth that un-cut mounts will raise the motor.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Well, hell then... I guess I know where I'm gonna have to go to get motor mounts. Anyone make an aftermarket Trans mount yet? Other than the CHE brace with torque limiters?

Quick Reply: Motor Mounts