Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

HORSEPOWER QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Vertigo
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: HORSEPOWER QUESTION

ORIGINAL: Z06 Killer

ORIGINAL: MIAMISTANG2006

well im at 12.83 right now on motor, what do i need to run 11.5's, as far as hp, i have rear upper and lower ca's and drag radials, its an auto, right now it gets 1.7 60fter's.
Just about any blower will get you there. Add a Paxton standard kit and you are there!
+1^^ Any s/c will make great power its all on how your style of driving is. To hit 11.5 with making that much power you need to learn how to launch it and keep the power to the ground.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vertigo

ORIGINAL: MIAMISTANG2006

well im at 12.83 right now on motor, what do i need to run 11.5's, as far as hp, i have rear upper and lower ca's and drag radials, its an auto, right now it gets 1.7 60fter's.
Just about any blower will get you there. Add a Paxton standard kit and you are there!
+1^^ Any s/c will make great power its all on how your style of driving is. To hit 11.5 with making that much power you need to learn how to launch it and keep the power to the ground.
That is key..... Puting the power to the ground!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:16 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

First of all you are comparing apples to oranges when talking about imports versus a modular V8.

Second - you are forgetting the extremely obvious...

BOOST RAISES COMPRESSION. If you are running 9:1 and run around 22 psi of boost - guess what? - You are now running about 15:1 - this is why you can't run around with big boost on pump gas.

I'm not going to call anybody out, but believe the '800 rwhp builds' when you see them. it's easy to 'SAY' 800 - it's another to make it on a 4.6...

It is VERY DIFFICULT to get 800 out of the cubic inch of a 4.6 and this is why you have to throw a ton of boost at it to get it. Not to mention, as I have discovered, you have about maxed out any returnless fuel system when you start reaching that number. I am doing a return a kit now but there is no 'kit'. In fact, I only know of 3 other people besides me who have actually done it. Lot's 'talk' about and want it, but it's not as easy as just buying some kit - cause it doesn't exist. (out of the box anyway)

I can count on one hand how many people have seen 800+ rwhp on a 3V and they are all trailer cars and run octane far above anything you could buy at the local race shop. Most of those guys are on C16-25...

It has cost me a lot of money and almost 2 years of dickin' with crap to get 800 to the tires on a street S197 - and it certainly wouldn't and can't be done on any regular 'kit' that's out there. Takes a lot more than a built bottom end just to make it and very few know how to build it to HOOK - which, by the way is the HARD PART. Making the power is easy enough - getting the design of the S197 to handle and hook that kind of power is ten times harder. I have more time and sweat into hooking my car than I ever had into the powerplant...

The moral is I'm just saying it isn't as easy as some think.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

BTW: Some people are more dyno queens - but for me personally, I am MUCH MORE IMPRESSED with a car making 400 rwhp that runs 11's than a 1200 rwhp car that runs 11's...

Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Spyder's car will make you all change your mind on dyno numbers. It's all about your complete setup. Most fast cars (sub 10sec) at the track wiegh less than 2800lb's. Hp #'s are for speed shops, it's their "crack" and youngin's with "car mag" racing experiance eat dyno #'s up all day long. I don't need big hp's to be happy, I need consistant ET's for braggin right's
Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 PM
rugedraw
2nd Gear Member

Hey........I know this guy.

Moroso sooner than later! Maybe I can shoot you $20 and you give me a run on your DRs? I'll jack 'em up myself.....

P.S. Stupid Supras? WOAH! I don't know about that. I drove a single-turbo 750hp Supra and let me tell you something.......I nearly sh*t myself when the turbo kicked in. The car ran 12.10s at 133mph spinning tire more than halfway through 3rd gear on street tires (I didn't drive it at the strip, but I'm sure my times would have been worse!).

I'm not a fan of Jap cars, but I've come across some Supras and RX7s that were no kinda joke. 2 feet of fire popping out the exhaust in between shifts.....disgusting.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

I can count on one hand how many people have seen 800+ rwhp on a 3V and they are all trailer cars and run octane far above anything you could buy at the local race shop. Most of those guys are on C16-25...

It has cost me a lot of money and almost 2 years of dickin' with crap to get 800 to the tires on a street S197 - and it certainly wouldn't and can't be done on any regular 'kit' that's out there. Takes a lot more than a built bottom end just to make it and very few know how to build it to HOOK - which, by the way is the HARD PART. Making the power is easy enough - getting the design of the S197 to handle and hook that kind of power is ten times harder. I have more time and sweat into hooking my car than I ever had into the powerplant...

Well not to start a fight, but there is a Red snake in Sacramento that has a built bottom end upgraded blower and some laughing gas and Methanol injection. Has the dyno sheets to show on the spray he was over 820HP and this was on 91 octane as he claimed! Now as for hooking up... He was blowing tires loose all night and could not run better than 11.2 and that made me feel great! I was running 11.4's and 11.5's with my 600 horse 4.6! But too make a long story short, there are a few 800hp s197's here in Cali alone so they cant be that rare.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:54 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

Well not to start a fight, but there is a Red snake in Sacramento that has a built bottom end upgraded blower and some laughing gas and Methanol injection. Has the dyno sheets to show on the spray he was over 820HP and this was on 91 octane as he claimed! Now as for hooking up... He was blowing tires loose all night and could not run better than 11.2 and that made me feel great! I was running 11.4's and 11.5's with my 600 horse 4.6! But too make a long story short, there are a few 800hp s197's here in Cali alone so they cant be that rare.
I'm sure there is. Who in cali has an 800+ hp S197? The main point I was making was the HP is easy enough. The supra post before yours and your own post just confirms what I was trying to say. To run 11.2 with 820 hp would make me sick to my stomach. I was in the mid 10's with 560 rwhp...

HP doesn't mean squat. Blueherd hit the nail on the head - power to weight ratio means everything. The 3 link design, the weight, the outright construction of the S197 is not designed to blow down the strip. You can throw 1200 hp at it and your biggest challenge is always going to make the car stick down the track. That's the hard part that VERY FEW have been able to conquer. It's the achilles heel of building up street cars.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:58 PM
MIAMISTANG2006
1st Gear Member

The track is one thing, im talkin the 80mph role to 160mph race. I am much more a fan of keeping at the track but around here the races are z06's with nitrous, and your big *** turbo supra's, mazda's etc.. thats where those cars hp plays into figure. at the track there no match unless they are backhalfed or semi-tubb or some crazy electronic boost controller.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:29 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i agree with modaddict...look at the viper venom1000...they tuned their cars to lower the boost through first and second gear and not even have the full 1000HP till 3rd gear just to try and maintain "some" traction...although i still feel that 800HP is too much in 1st gear, that just goes to show that HP is not everything

Quick Reply: HORSEPOWER QUESTION