Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Spark Blowout

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 08:25 AM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Default Spark Blowout

I'm always a little slow to catch on but I'm starting to think that what I initially thought, isnt what I thought I thought....
When punching the car in first gear I was thinking that I was uncontrollably getting into the rev limiter b/c of breaking traction but now that it's warm and my windows are down I'm thinking it's suffering spark blowout way before the limiter.
Sounds like a ballon popping and the car loses power.

The modding never ends......reckon I need to read the coil pack threads.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 PM
gloryboy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Spark Blowout

What are your plugs gapped at? The stock cops are actually very good. If your getting spark blowout, you can gap them a little closer.Not sure how much boost u r runnning, but at10 lbs.032 seems to work well.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:01 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Get some accel COP's... I thank moose for recommending these babies because they allow you to get better spark efficiancy and reduce spark blowout...
Old 06-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I run the new Granatelli COPs. I considered all of the brands, but Granatelli is the only company that advertises the voltage of their COPs. I e-mailed the other companies to inquire the voltage of their designs, but half of them never responded and the ones that did would only say that their design was an improvement over stock. I really hoped to hear specific numbers from MSD on their coils because I've had great success with their products in the past with my 5.0, but they were never specific about what to expect from their coils.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:58 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gloryboy

What are your plugs gapped at? The stock cops are actually very good. If your getting spark blowout, you can gap them a little closer.Not sure how much boost u r runnning, but at10 lbs.032 seems to work well.
Whipple gaps theirs to .032, but I was still hearing popping coming from my exhaust. The accel coil packs cleared it right up. I wouldn't recommend gapping them down any more than that. If you close the gap to much it can lead to other problems. I'd personally like to try the weapon x coils when they come out with a new set of plugs set at the stock gap.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:48 AM
ebr
3rd Gear Member

What kind of problems does it cause if the plugs are gapped to tight for your setup?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:17 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

I run the GMS COPs they are really good.
You can gap down to .028 actually.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:24 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ebr

What kind of problems does it cause if the plugs are gapped to tight for your setup?
I haven't personally read anything on new mustangs, but it can cause anything from rough idle to power loss. With your power, you probably wouldn't notice.

Gapping down the plugs for FI is really just a quick and dirty fix for an ignition system that wasn't designed for the increased pressure (just my opinion). The bigger the gap, the more powerful the spark will be. That's assuming the system has the power to jump the gap. The smaller the gap, the weaker the spark. Of course if your gap is to great, the coils will be working overtime and fail sooner, maybe.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:31 PM
ebr
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Moose.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

I myself am waiting for the end all be all for the COPs as I too sometimes get spark blowout, even at .034 gap.[:@]

Quick Reply: Spark Blowout