Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

'05 GT flash tuning and cold air

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 12:29 AM
Musclecar Man

Default '05 GT flash tuning and cold air

Just bought a new '05 GT with 5 speed Tremec. Can anyone recomend the best flash tuner and cold air intake for this new car? I want it to where I can return to stock with ease and not damage the engine in normal street driving. Thanks much. Also, need a good code reader recomendation as well.

Randy
Old 04-30-2005, 12:03 PM
KandyMan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: '05 GT flash tuning and cold air

sct xcalibrator
Old 04-30-2005, 05:45 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: '05 GT flash tuning and cold air

If you have 10 people respond to your post, you will probably get 10 different responses.
As far as "tuners", you have the SCT XCalibrator, the SCT XCalibrator II, and the Diablo Predator. Just depends on the depth of control you want to have over your tune as to which tuner fits you best.
CAI kits.. you have C&L, Steeda, JLT, MMR, and there are probably others. But those are the ones I am familiar with.
With the C&L, you have two options. Just the CAI, or the CAI and an aluminum intake. There are plenty of debates as to whether or not the aluminum intake does any good or not. The people that have them swear they are great, the people that don't have them argue that the metal holds more heat than the rubber intake and that defeats the purpose. The Steeda CAI is also very popular. Seems to get about the same HP gain as the C&L with the right tune. Steeda has been around for a while and works with Ford's engineers. So the do actually know what they are doing. The JLT CAI kit also comes with it's own intake. It is a big plastic tube. I have heard mixed reviews about the JLT. Mostly having to do with the tunes provided for it. They are a smaller company and write their own tunes, so they are slower to update because they are not necessairly supported by the tuner manufacturers. Lastly, there is MMR. If I remember right, they were probably the first to come out with a CAI for the 05GTs. I don't know of many folks running them, but I am sure that they are out there. They are definitely the cheapest ( dollar wise ) solution on the market. They do not come with an air filter "shield" like the other three do. And they do not have tune support from SCT or Diablo. Also I do not think that they compair with the other guys as far as horse power gains.

Personally, I use the Steeda CAI and a Diablo Predator. With the Steeda, and a custom tune for the Steeda from Diablo, I saw a 24rwhp and 30rwtq gain on a dyno.