Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why am I so down on power??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:14 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default Why am I so down on power??

I posted this on another forum too.

Went to the Mustang Dyno again since I had my JDM and VMP tunes "updated". Justin from VMP added 2% more fuel this time and the JDM hesitation issue has been fixed.

The weather was about 15 degrees warmer this time and the oil temp was 190 degrees at startup. I had just gotten back from giving someone a "demo ride" too, so the car was driven hard before the run.

Since my last run I added BBK shortys and a new tensioner. Here's the sheet from 4/24 and the 2 sheets from yesterday RPM vs MPH.

Now I know heat can deplete power but at some points I'm down nearly 40 Ft-lbs!! The boost is down about .4 psi, perhaps from the heat too but maybe partially due to the headers also. I've emailed JDM to get the AFR into place, so hopefully they can do that this week.

Does heat really make that much of a difference day to day?? The car sure feels strong but I just can't believe the sheets. What do you guys think?[/align]
Old 06-16-2008, 01:05 PM
mustard05
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Why am I so down on power??

how much did you make all together, i lost my glasses and really cant read the numbers to good, but from what im thinking that im seeing, with the 10psi pully, it doesnt look right
Old 06-16-2008, 01:08 PM
mustard05
2nd Gear Member

is this the only dyno youve ever been on, ive heard diff opinions on mustang dyno's
Old 06-16-2008, 01:09 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

I don't mean to scare you but when I lost 50 horsepower in dyno's (3 different dyno's) a month later my input shaft snapped. We couldn't figure out what was going on for atleast 2 months. On the road the car was AWESOME but the dyno's showed a different story. Good luck keep us updated.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

Heat makes a HUGE diffence in force induction. If you can cool it back down you will see the power come back
Old 06-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Z06 Killer

Heat makes a HUGE diffence in force induction. If you can cool it back down you will see the power come back
+1 temperature is the biggest enemy with FI. I bet if you had a baseline timing chart (cooler temps) and compared it to where it was at on your last run you'll find your timing has been way retarded to keep you from detonating. Detonating in an FI application = boom!! It also equates to lower power.

You can't do a real comparison until the conditions are similar (Ambient temperature and pre dyno conditions of your car)
Old 06-16-2008, 09:29 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Heat makes a HUGE diffence in force induction
Agreed and not only heat. High humidity means thatair is beingsaturated with water molecules. Last time car ran it was 92 temp with 90% humidity...everybody we spoke to with FI was off as much as 0.6 of a second from expected times, including us.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:29 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

heat could is probably the biggest issue, but how does you A/F look during the entire run? Maybe its just me, but could it be a little off, mine is in the 11's during my dyno pulls. I am no expert but it would not hurt to check.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:46 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

The boost is down because of the addition of the shorties. Better flowing exhaust will always cost you a littler bit of boost, but should not hurt your production of power in the least.

As for the power... I am guessing your an auto because of the 3.73 gears... Three things I am seeing.. One, that spike in the VMP tune is likely something funky going on with the locking or unlocking of your torque converter and chances are it's effecting ther whole run, just not showing anywhere but there. Second is that the AFR's are very different and thats having an effect on power... and the third is all that heat you built up giving the demo run is killing you, combined with the fact that you dynoed once in April and once in June. Despite there only being a 15 degree difference in temp, you also hafta look at humidty.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:02 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Yes that spike in the curve is the TC locking. The A/F is about the same april-June in the JDM tune, but the VMP tune went from 12 - 11.4 in the VMP tune after Justinadded 2% fuel, and also due to the warmer temps.

(Dyno graphss, as well as sig pic, currently down due to a problem with Photobucket's website)