Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cam Questions for the v8

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 AM
glgorman

Default Cam Questions for the v8

toying with the idea of getting cams for the stang and have some questions for guys

1. are they to much for a daily driver/ track car?

2. how bad will it hurt the gas milage?

3. will they be a pain to install?

4. any other issues people have had with cams in these cars.

O i was looking at the new frpp cams, thanks for your help.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:28 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cam Questions for the v8

1- they arent bad for a daily driven car, but this ties into question 2... it will definetly decrease gas milage, by how much i dont know. thats dependent on you (how hard you hit it). I know if were to cam mine, gas milage would nearly not exist for me because I would be flooring her everywhere...

3- they arent a pain but it isnt a short installation either... depends on how you do it. I have heard that dropping the motor is the easiest because it frees you up with more room.

4- I have heard of anyone having severe issues with their cams... the only issue I have heard of is the horsepower gain, which I have come to learn that it depends on the supporting mods and what type of tune you run...

search the FRPP cams on youtube. a guy posted a good clip of his s197 with the FRPP's. Im not 100% sure though that he is actually running FRPP and not a stage 4 comp cam...

definetly post some numbers/results if and when you cam the car...

good luck.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:04 AM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

I am also looking to perform this mod and have them currently on order. I have done a fair amount of research and have posted some information that might be useful in another thread on a different forum. You may find it useful. I did include the FRPP cam specs in case you decide to go with a custom tune.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...m-upgrade.html

I will also say if you are interested in the FRPP Hot Rod Cams (M-6550-3V) you need to consider going ahead and placing an order. I tried many places and finally called Ford Racing and found out they are on back order and have no specific or estimate for deivery. They did indicate they hoped to have them again within 30 days.

Also note their comment on "no" HP gains unless you use a custom tune.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

There is so much BS flying around about these cams that its funny....

i am not even clicking on the link but your last statement about 'no' gains without a tune, while holds some validity, it opposite of other claims of 25 HP just installing them. Hell i was told sutton says they get 50 hp out of them when tuned and that is BS too im guessing.

Until these hit the market and people actually get them i wont believe much anything i hear. The one vid that is thrown around everywhere with the loopy sound is alot different than when another member who had them installed sounded like. granted its a different exhaust setup but to me was not even close.

Comp makes a nice set that doesnt lose tany torq or HP down low like many of the setups do, these do require spring replacement so its probably 2k for parts labor and tuning for them, i am starting to look into these more than the NSR options out there since i do use the car as a DD and would surely miss the low end.

Cams on these cars are very hit and miss. There are tons of threads out there on them. People have installed them and only got low 20 hp gains and others are claiming 35+ Its hard to believe but I do think you need supporting mods for sure (CMCV, LTs, CAI/tune) Without those your gains will not be near as good that is for sure. GEARS are a must! this will help compensate for the loss of lower end power and torq.

Here is a thread with some discussion but there are tons on the FRPP and the NSR set that brenspeed sells
https://mustangforums.com/m_3819388/tm.htm
Old 06-19-2008, 12:07 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

I appreciate the concern for not wanting to click on my link. As such, I am copying my posts for your info. By the way, my comment about no HP gains without a tune is a direct quote from Ford Racing directly. If you have questions about validity, I suggest you call them as I did. I have my facts in writing from them, including that statement.

I was never able to get through to Sutton High Performance, only voice mail. So after numerous calls around to different shops and finally talking with Ford Racing I found out the Hot Rod Cam M-6550-3V is backordered. I wound up placing an order through www.latemodelrestoration.com and also ordered a set of 3.73 FRPP gears to go with it.Upon further communication with Ford Racing, it seems that the cams will do just fine without a custom tune, there just will be no HP gain. (They also agreed that emissions testing should not be an issue when using a good tune.) So I have been proceeding to try and find a custom tune for my SuperChips FlashPaq. Now this is a different story. I just purchased this programmer within about a month with the understanding that I could also purchase custom tunes from them. It even says it on the box. However, now that i have the tuner and upon contacting them, they do not offer this service. They gave me the name of a past employee that is now doing tunes under a new name but when I contacted him, he said that he would only do it on the brand of programmers that he sells and that SuperChips is not really set up for custom. Wish I had known that before I just spent $400 on a tuner! Anyway, looks like I am going to be looking for a good custom tune. Would be nice if someone knew where I could get on for the SuperChips FlashPaq. Any ideas?

Specs on FRPP Hot Rod Cam M-6550-3V in case you need to get a custom tune. (Copied from one of the emails that I received from Ford Racing.) Hope this helps. Any questions, I would contact FRPP directly.I have them on order and can't wait to see how they will sound and perform!*****Here are some basics on our 3V cams compared to production:Intake Lobe: Production / Ford Racing Cams[/b]IVO BTDC: 15 49 deg. IVC ABDC: 53 51 deg. Total duration: 248 280 degDuration @0.006 262 deg.Duration @0.050 200 deg.[/b]Exhaust Lobe: Production / Ford Racing Cams[/b]EVO BBDC: 80 97 deg.EVC ATDC: 19 19 deg.Total duration: 279 296 deg.Duration @0.006 281 deg.Duration @0.050 216 deg.[/b]Overlap: 34 68 degLobe separation angle 133 deg.[/b]Valve Lift: 11mm 12mm[/b]Please note that VCT cams have strange events from what you normally see, because of the VCT capability.[/b]If stiffer than production springs are used the VCT phaser will make a ticking noise and eventually fail. [/b]Stock springs have been used with this cam up to 7000 rpm. [/b]Peak power with the stock intake, FR cams and CNC heads is 6500 rpm.[/b]The opening and closing numbers listed are for the cams in the fully advanced position. They can be retarded up to about 55 degrees from these values by the VCT. The Ford Racing cams will not show any power improvement over production if they are installed in the fully advanced position and the VCT is locked out because the intake closing point would be essentially the same as a fully advanced production cam.[/b]1) 3v at 12 degree retard is about where the production cam events happen near the power peak rpm2) 3v at 17 degree retard is about where the production cam events happen if VCT is locked out and cam is installed 1 sprocket tooth retarded3) hot rod at 17 degree retard is where the "hot rod cam" events happen if VCT is locked out and the cam is installed 1 sprocket tooth retarded.Subsequent Email from them included the following statement.*****You can install the cams with the stock tune, It will run ok but you will not gain any power with them.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:32 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

The problem with cams in order to work as they should, you NEED every other supporting mod, as in intake and exhaust side, gears and TC (in automatics). Heads are also good for cams but then it gets quite expensive for only having 370rwhp.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 PM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

But for that 370 you have a car that sounds as a muscle car should and a LOT more reliable machine than one running on FI.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:59 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

FI > NA in this 4.6 engines. But thats another topic ...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:03 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: MexGT

FI > NA in this 4.6 engines. But thats another topic ...
I got to say that FI when tuned correctly would probably be just as reliable if not more so than a fully modded NA car
Old 06-19-2008, 09:54 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csA5KR5fp30

That's the stuff dreams are made of right there!

Get FRPP Hot Rod cams. Do it!

Since you don't need to upgrade your valvetrain with these, the install will not cost too much and with a good tune (Doug at bama has done many of these) you'll gain around 30hp (according to sutton) plus that wicked sound.

If all else fails, get Hot Rods plus a s/c (like a vortech if you don't want to spend too much) and you're all set.

I can't wait to get my Hot Rods. Unfortunately they're back ordered ATM. [:'(]

Quick Reply: Cam Questions for the v8