Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dealership Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:43 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Default Dealership Oil Change?

I think I recall someone mentioning that the oil used by Ford dealerships for warranty maintenance is not that good. Is this correct or...?
Thanks!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Dealership Oil Change?

Nothing wrong with motorcraft. It may not be the absolute best on the market but it will work fine.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:56 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Riptide,
Great thanks for the info!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You could ask the maintenance manager if they're using the Motorcraft synthetic blend but I don't know if you can trust their answer. My suggestion is to do the oil change yourself and use a good full synthetic. Or at least you can get the Motorcraft blend at WallyWorld plus the Motorcraft filter. It's pretty simple to do, cheaper in the long run and gives you more "hug" time with your Stang.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I'm going to do my next oil change myself as well. Probably will go full synthetic at that point, which should be 10,000. I did have the dealer do the last couple changes.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I've always let the dealer do mine every 3 to 4K. I don't like changing oil plus they go over the car and let me know if something (like brakes, tires, etc) is worn and will need attention soon. That way I'm aware of something before it becomes a problem. Plus they check and fill my other fluids if needed. It also gives me the chance to check out the new mustangs and shelbys in the showroom.

You will NOT go wrong by letting the dealer do it.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SirKnightTG

I've always let the dealer do mine every 3 to 4K. I don't like changing oil plus they go over the car and let me know if something (like brakes, tires, etc) is worn and will need attention soon. That way I'm aware of something before it becomes a problem. Plus they check and fill my other fluids if needed. It also gives me the chance to check out the new mustangs and shelbys in the showroom.

You will NOT go wrong by letting the dealer do it.
You mean you don't know what to look for when you're under your car? Or looking at the brakes or tires? And you don't know how to check fluids? You're losing man-cards, my friend!

I also beg to differ about "...not go wrong by letting the dealer do it." The dealer canruin a wet dream.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Regardless of what kind of oil they use, I refuse to let the retarded monkeys at the ford dealership near my car with a wrench. DIY FTW.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

My Ford Dealeruses Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic delivered in bulk.
I know for a fact because I have seen the Conoco truck (They make the Motorcraft) filling the tanks.
Ford has been putting a lot of pressure on its dealers to use Motorcraft products lately.
If you are going to change by the factory recommendations the Conoco/Motorcraft5W-20 is fine.

That said Ive been using 5W-20 Castrol Syntec because its very close to a 30 Weight (3% higher viscosity would make it 30 weight) and my use is severe.I drive 70%+ City, lots of 4.7 mi city trips (10-12 a week), and 100-200 dragstip passes per oil change.
All highway miles are essentially to and from the dragstrip. Thats every 6 months or 5000 mi whichever comes first.
Oil analysis says its holding up just fine.

PS I dont want to get into the 'fake' synthetic debate as Castrol does fine in my car.
If GIII is good enough for F1 Ferraris at 19,000 rpm it cant be that bad.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:00 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

My dealer uses Royal Purple and their retarded monkeys have some 8 second Mustangs - so I dont mind them working on my car at all.

Quick Reply: Dealership Oil Change?