Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Hoss

Default Advice

I am new to the mod game. I have an 06 GT with these mods:
Magnaflow Muffler
Pypes O/R X-Pipe
BBK CAI

Here is the question. Since installing all of these mods my car almost feels a little more sluggish. It kind of feels like its choking if thats a good description. After installing the CAI and reseting the computer it feels better but still feels unsmooth. The sound is also not what I thought it would be, I was hoping for a low pitched growl and instead my car sounds like a classic mustang with no exhaust on it at all...lol. Any advice from you guys would be great. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:05 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Advice

is your car tuned for the OR X? Yea magnaflows are pretty silent. Get rid of those and get something else. Get a straight through design like magnapaks, slps etc.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Hoss

I think you misunderstood. My exhaust is loud as hell but not the kind of loud I was expecting. It sounds more like something is wrong with the car instead of being low pitched and mean sounding.
I have not had the car tuned, m mechanic told me I wouldn't need to tune it. He said that if we reset the computer in the car it would tune itself? Is this true or do I need to by a tuner? I got a price on a hypertech tuner, if I need it to make the car run smooth and strong again I will get it but if not I would rather wait.
Thanks for the response.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:33 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Get a tune. Althought BBK says you can run their intake without a tune, you really should get a tune.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:00 PM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, get a tune. I'm suprised you don't have some kind of idiot light coming on with that CAI.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Hoss

I had the engine light come on after I installed the O/R X-Pipe then I had the CAI installed and computer reset. The mechanic said that would be enough but I think I am going to take all your advice and get a tune. Do I have to buy a tuner to do that or is there somewhere I can go to get it tuned? If I have to buy a tuner, can you guys suggest a user friendly one that is good but not too expensive?

Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:23 PM
BigDon

BRENSPEED.

X-Calibrator = $379.00
3 Tunes = $125.00

The feel knowing your car is running like it's supposed to = PRICELESS!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Yes buy a tuner the tunes will come with itfor $379. You only pay the $125 when you buy tunes but already have the tuner. Brenspeed uses the xcal2 and are one of the most popular here they have good tunes and good customer service, bamachips is another that is very good, he tunes using both the SCT xcal2 and the diablo predator. I have tunes from both and would recomend both w/o hesitation.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:34 PM
black07stanggt41051

Yes, get the SCT - xcal2. The tuning of the performance curve really helps. I've never used Brenspeed but I originally got the Evolution Performance tune for mine. It was good for the street but I have since done some more modding and have taken it to Modular Depot here and had a custom dyno tune done on my car. They gained about 13 RWH by data logging the MAF functions and other things (thanks, Nancy, Greg and others!!!!!). Next project is LT headers and the catted Xpipe.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Hoss

Wait, I don't mean to sound retarded but if I buy a tuner, I have to also pay someone to tune it? Can't I do it myself or is too complicated for someone with limited knowledge? Sorry for the dumb questions but like I said I am completely new to the mod game. I think the Diablo Predator is the best for my money from what I have seen and heard so far.
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Quick Reply: Advice