Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hot Rod Cams Ordered

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hot Rod Cams Ordered

ORIGINAL: MyLocalDJ

I am going through the exact same thing. The dealer is checking on the extent of warranty. I have my FRPP cams on order (M-6550-3V) Hot Rod Cams. The dealer told me that they felt the engine would still be under warranty; however, a cam failure or an engine failure attributed to the cams would not be covered. They are looking to confirm. I only have about 1300 miles on my car so I am very interested in this outcome. (But... I am going to do it anyway!) I also have the FRPP 3.73 gears sitting waiting to go in at the same time and I am getting ready to order the BBK equal length ceramic coated shorty headers also.

When did you order your cams? These are currently on back order at Ford Racing and they could only guess 4 - 6 weeks but could not confirm. There were about 12 or 13 on the back order list ahead of me when I ordered a week or so ago. Not sure how many they normally receive in a shipment either since these are so new. Did you get an expected delivery??

I noticed that you are asking about the valve spring tool. These cams do not require spring modes, in fact, Ford Racing conveyed to me that changing the springs to a stiffer spring will result in failure over time.

You will need a custom tune with these cams. Talk with doug@bamachips.com. He has just completed a dyno tune on a setup with these cams and has a custom tune for the SCT tuner.
You will need a custom tune with these cams. Talk with doug@bamachips.com. He has just completed a dyno tune on a setup with these cams and has a custom tune for the SCT tuner.

what were the numbers on the dyno tune with these cams?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 PM
302svt
1st Gear Member

Dyno numbers would be great.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:20 AM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Quote from email that I received from Doug.

"I have just finished up dynotuning a set of FRPP camshafts and they gained 17-20 rwhp across the board along with having an excellent idle sound."
Old 06-27-2008, 07:40 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

"I have just finished up dynotuning a set of FRPP camshafts and they gained 17-20 rwhp across the board along with having an excellent idle sound."
can you find out the other supporting mods the car had?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:08 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The Comp NSR gain about 27 according to brenspeed, but they lose on the low/mid (where you are on the street 95+% of the time). Their gains are only in the high end but if these FRPPs gain 20 across the board, then I'd say these are better over all while having a better idle sound.

Yep, FRPP Hot Rods for me!

I wonder how Sutton got 30 on stock heads. Gotta find that out!
Old 06-27-2008, 08:18 AM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

The Comp NSR gain about 27 according to brenspeed, but they lose on the low/mid (where you are on the street 95+% of the time). Their gains are only in the high end but if these FRPPs gain 20 across the board, then I'd say these are better over all while having a better idle sound.

Yep, FRPP Hot Rods for me!

I wonder how Sutton got 30 on stock heads. Gotta find that out!
I dont know, but I do know that is was on a car that was basicly stock since my car was to modifided to use in there testing. [:@]
Old 06-27-2008, 09:29 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

but would it be safer to get a shop to update the tune? basically working with the car up close as supposed to indirect (like with bama???))))? Dont get me wrong, I love my Bama tune, probably the greatest mod Ive put on the car... But would Doug's tune be safe with the FRPP cams seeing that every car will react differently to the cams???
Old 06-27-2008, 09:55 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Probably if you had lots of mods including FI. But for someone who just has exhaust and CAI, the Bama email tune would be more than good enough.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:59 AM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Jmose- I just called Ford Racing to see when they expect the next shipment of cams because I also have them on backorder through LateModel Restoration. Ford Racing told me they are still 2 to 3 weeks out as of today. They indicated the cam grinder has one side complete and are working on the second side grind.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:27 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

well SirKnight, I have a lot of bolt ons... more than just intake and exhaust, I was just wondering if it is safe to run the generic tune rather than sitting down with the ECU and reading the car...

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Cams Ordered