Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Axle Back Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:26 AM
bigdippin

Default Axle Back Options

I've heard all the clips on youtube and here and I still can't make my mind up on which one I want. I can't use the search feature on here. I want a good sounding, loud exhaust. I like theold muscle car sound of the old days.I wish someone lived close so I could hear there's in person. So I guess, sell me on your exhaust. Why do you like what you have. Oh, I have an 08 GT 5 speed.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:33 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Axle Back Options

Corsa or FRPP Stingers. Magnapacks arent that bad either. Those would be my top three if I had to do it over again. MAC makes a good axle back, they are very loud but not obnoxious but I have heard that they have exhaust drone...

Im running the magnaflow catback system. here is a video, but I also have lt headers and an x pipe with no cats... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo7SXio2Qf8
Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

You are going to get tons of opinion here. FRPP/Borla stingers sound awesome, but some people complain about the drone. FRPP GTAs are not as load or deep as the stingers but sound good without the drone. I don't have either. I have JBAs and I like them. Inside the cabin as with most axle backs they are mellow. At WOT they sound awesome. This is not my car but here is a Mustang w/JBAs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHPRShAyElc

Old 06-26-2008, 10:07 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

O/r h and stingers. Sorry, but the old muscle sound can't be produced with these 3 valves[:@]
Old 06-26-2008, 10:44 AM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

^^^Very true....the new 3V are far more superior in every aspect compared to the 2V except sound[:@]These cars are very tricky to get sounding good. IMO the Macs sound the best. Very deep, pretty loud, muscle car sound. I do also like the Stingers w/ O/R H. If you are looking at full exhaust go with Mac LT, O/R Prochamber, and Mac axlebacksclosest sounding setup to that "mustang" sound.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

The JBA tips look small. Are they 4"?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Rat GT
2nd Gear Member

I have the Macs on my car and I'm very happy with them. People say they can hear me coming before they can see me but the Macs areloud only when you want them to be. If you're easy on the gas pedal and at highway cruising speeds, you hardly notice them. I wouldn't recommend them for cars with an auto-tranny as there is drone at around 1,800 RPM that gets a bit loud when going up a long incline. It can be silenced by shifting down and increasing the RPM but that can't be easily done with an automatic unless it's something like the geartronic in my Volvo that can be shiftedas amanual trannybut without the clutch. I think it's just easier to control the RPM with a standard.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

If you want loud sounding, old muscle days sound....

Your best bet is to go with SLP Loudmouths or Boomtubes.
Especially if you are not putting an offroad X or H pipe.

I had Magnapacks and I changed them within a couple of weeks.
They sounded pretty close to the Corsa and Stingers and I thought they were ok but
soon they ended up being to soft for me. While louder than stock of course... they just
did not give the loud muscle car sound of the old days... and that is what I was looking for like you.

Boomtubes sound cleaner than SLP Loudmouths. Some people like the clean sound better.
SLP's have a bit of raspiness (no not alot) and sound more like the old school muscle stangs.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:24 PM
bigdippin

Ah, decisions decisions. I don't mind the raspiness. As long as its not to bad. I was leaning toward the boomtubes anyway. I don't plan on having an off road H or X anytime soon.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:25 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

i have SLP's, them and boomtubes look really good as they dont have fat ugly muflers showing from under the *** end. by themselves, the slp has a nice cold start and aren't too raspy.

Quick Reply: Axle Back Options