Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got some money to spend.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Got some money to spend.

I was told that a water to air cooler is a waste of time for street driving and wont really get you as much result if your trying to keep your air cool for a longer period then a 1/4 mile down the track, and the air to air cooler will keep the air cooler for a longer period of time and give you high rwhp through out. About the UDPs I just realized that those are out of the picture now that I am going FI, it was just a consideration for a prior mod before I got the S/Cer. I'm not here brag about getting a S/Cer or nothing, I'm just here for advice. I didn't know anything about cars before I bought my stang 2 years ago so I'm kinda learning as I go along so any help here before I mess up anymore then I have in the past is great. Thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 12:36 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brian_Zinchuk

I was told that a water to air cooler is a waste of time for street driving and wont really get you as much result if your trying to keep your air cool for a longer period then a 1/4 mile down the track, and the air to air cooler will keep the air cooler for a longer period of time and give you high rwhp through out. About the UDPs I just realized that those are out of the picture now that I am going FI, it was just a consideration for a prior mod before I got the S/Cer. I'm not here brag about getting a S/Cer or nothing, I'm just here for advice. I didn't know anything about cars before I bought my stang 2 years ago so I'm kinda learning as I go along so any help here before I mess up anymore then I have in the past is great. Thanks
I would STRONGLY urge you to stay far, far away from whoever it is that told you that... They are only going to help you mess up your car.

There's a reason that Whipple, Saleen [and maybe? roush] are water-to-air intercooled. It is FAR superior to air-to-air cooled.

I'll tell you what - How about you drain ALL the coolant out of your radiator? Then you can have an air-cooled Mustang. Why not the old VW Bugs were air-cooled?

Yeah.... Sounds like a great plan, doesn't it?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:46 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

i dont know about these guys but im not here to hate. idk about the intercooler but these guys probably know what they are talking about. Where do you live at and what shop is doing the work on your car?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

I live on base in Hawaii but I will be moving back to maine with my car in dec. I'll be doing the work with the help of the on base hobby shop, who have done hundreds of S/Cer installs. Ok maybe I misunderstood what brenspeed told me. Maybe they just said that the vortech after cooler was junk. Would that make more sense? Cause when I was ordering the non IC kit from brenspeed I asked if I wanted to add the aftercooler later on would it help and they told me that it would be better to go air to air cooler. I would have a shop install it for me but the guys at the hobby shop said that they've done the same install a dozen time so I feel safe going there, and its free so that helps too.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:08 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

exx1976 coulnt have explained it better. water has a 4 to 1 cooling ratio where as air has 1 to 1... water can pull a lot more heat out than air... air to water is what ford uses in the mustang cobras and the lightnings...
Old 07-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

So can someone tell what my best bet is in the future now that I understand that water to air is the ****. So would it not be such a bad idea to go with the Vortech after cooler in the future or is there a way to put a different water to air cooler on my car with a vortech kit?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:19 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I live on base in Hawaii but I will be moving back to maine with my car in dec. I'll be doing the work with the help of the on base hobby shop, who have done hundreds of S/Cer installs. Ok maybe I misunderstood what brenspeed told me. Maybe they just said that the vortech after cooler was junk. Would that make more sense? Cause when I was ordering the non IC kit from brenspeed I asked if I wanted to add the aftercooler later on would it help and they told me that it would be better to go air to air cooler. I would have a shop install it for me but the guys at the hobby shop said that they've done the same install a dozen time so I feel safe going there, and its free so that helps too.
Wait a minute.. You're trying to say that Brenspeed told you that? Yeah, I think there must've been a misunderstanding, because Brenspeed is an EXTREMELY knowledgable shop, they are the ones that installed my blower. I'd ask for clarification on what it is they told you.

Now, with THAT having been said, yes, water-to-air is far superior BUT air-to-air is still better than nothing. I don't know how easy it would be to put a water-to-air on a centrifugal, most of them just have air-to-air.. But either way, I would get an intercooler before I got anything else. Regardless of how much you expect to be racing, anything that keeps temperatures down helps to preserve the life of your engine. As we all know, engine life is a good thing. :-)
Old 07-01-2008, 01:21 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

they probably offer an air to water kit... just like this one I found on their site...

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...&cat_key=3

good luck and have fun. those vortechs kick a$$...

superchargers kick a$$...
Old 07-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

exx1976: Roger that, is there any recommendations on where to get one and which one would be best for my kit. I'm not joking when they told me that the after cooler was no good, IDK why but thats what the guy said.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

tonkpils looks good but 2k that **** is steeper then I can go, I might have to wait another few months for that.

Quick Reply: Got some money to spend.