Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Who's runnin' 12 psi and up on stock internals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:37 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default Who's runnin' 12 psi and up on stock internals?

Only $139 will get me the 3.2" (11-12psi) and the V10 WP pulleys. Anyone see a reason not to go for it running on 93 octane? One of my sources claims no problem, any opinions?
[/align]
Old 07-02-2008, 05:00 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Who's runnin' 12 psi and up on stock internals?

the biggest drawback i see, is
you'll be spinning the s/c faster
from now on....it'll get a little
hotter...

i'm tempted to do this to, but i'm
not sure yet if the rewardoutweighs
the risk to the engine
Old 07-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Vertigo
3rd Gear Member

I run 12psi @6500 but i only get on it that hard a few times a week.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:43 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I run 11 psi and rarely go over 6000 rpms anyway and the S/C (whipple) has not shown much in the way of being any hotter but that was the psi I was running since install. I dont worry about the motor too much and just make sure you are running 93 octane all the time. I say go for it.....if the car runs great now and you have put some miles on it since the install I think you wont have any issues other than[sm=gears.gif] which you may already have[8D]

Oh and one other thing...anything over 10 psi IMO should get a new tensioner! I know jbailer has a saleen S/C and he bent his and shredded a belt...easily done at these boost levels esp if you own a manual trans car. It happens less on the autos but it can happen still...... I recommend the Thumper_rrr tensioner and though pricey it is the last you will ever need and others have bent the metco braced stock tensioner with the saleen S/C as well.... JDM carries them or PM me for the email address....modaddict and jbailer and sawyer and nineinchnails I belive all have one....I will be getting one soon too but dont track the car and believe it or not actually beat on the car less now then before the S/C....so much power and so little space to unleash it as city driving and cruising doesn't require it and I have not gone to the tarck yet but will after I get "forged".(and the many other mods to get all the power to the ground)
Old 07-02-2008, 08:57 PM
fadetoblack172
1st Gear Member

i'm getting my thumpurr next tuesday!!then 4.10's and i'm thinkin bout gettin the 12 lb pulley and tryin it out
Old 07-04-2008, 04:54 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Who's runnin'

i'[m looking to get the Whipple HO kit, not sure how may psi it'll be making but i'm aiming for 450whp.

would getting the 8-rib conversion be better than the Thump_RRR tensioner? Either way, just trying to avoid belt slippage.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:04 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Who'

Hard to say Chididdy......I thought in the beginning after the install I had belt slip but I had no belt dust so It might be the clutch not holding when getting on it from the dig. The 8-rib belt kit would definitely prevent belt slip for anything less than 12 psi IMO and is a must for anything over 12 psi. Regardless if you keep the 6-rib setup the tensioner is a must for 12 psi. You will bend that stock one in time if you track the car at all or beat on it like a red headed step child[8D]. I have had no "issues" yet but I dont track her (yet) and do get on her but not beat the crap out of her. I do plan to go with both soon though as I want to make sure the psi is consistent and doing both has shown to actually increase psi with the same size belt! Some have seen a 1-1.5 psi increase! So really test her out and decide from there. If tracking the car I would have a spare belt and some tools to change it if you loose one at the track to get the car home[&:]
Old 07-04-2008, 08:10 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

so i guess i'll go ahead with the tensioner system. the 8-rib setup is more pricey. I'm an auto, how much psi would i need to get close to your power or my goal of 450whp? how much psi does the whipple kit from lethalperformance come with?

i'm gona give them a call when i order, but does it also come with Gt500 pumps?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:17 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I believe the H.O. is good for 10 psi from lethal (but a belt change will up the boost-lethal sells them) and should yeild about 450 RWHP+ with the new gen II Whipples that are out now. They are more efficient than mine as it is a generation I. If you are at sea level that would help increase those numbers compared to someone at 5000 ft above sea level. The H.O. comes with the GT500 pumps and the modules to upgrade your fuel system.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:24 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

thanks a lot! cant wait to get it. debating between polished or black. agh, so agonizing...hehe

Quick Reply: Who's runnin' 12 psi and up on stock internals?