Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question for those with K&N FIPK intake 05 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Kaisoboy
1st Gear Member

Default Question for those with K&N FIPK intake 05 Mustang GT

Inthe instructions for the above intake it said to remove the Hydrocarbon trap from the stock air box and install it in the FIPK intake. My question is, is it really necessary to have the hydrocarbon trap in the intake? It would seem to me that with it deleted that you would have better air flow through the intake to the throttle body and hence more HP. The reason I ask this is that I was talking to a fellow at the local track that had a WMS CAI (short ram air) on his car and there was no visible place to insert the carbon trap on his 05 mustang GT. So I was just curious if it is needed at all and if removed in your opinion would it cause any problems? I believe that it was deleted out of the 07-08 mustang GTs as being a stock setup for the OEM intake.

What's everyones input on this? Did you delete it or did you install it and would it do any harm not having it in?

cheers
Old 07-03-2008, 03:00 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question for those with K&N FIPK intake 05 Mustang GT

I didn't put it in when I installedmy K&N CAI. Are you getting a new tune for that? A new tune will really allow you to get the most benefit from the new CAI.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Kaisoboy
1st Gear Member

Yes I am running the Diablo K&N 91 octane tune in the car global spark retarded 4* to run 87 for daily driving. I was just curious how many actually installed it like I did. I was thinking of removing it but wanted to make sure I was not going to screw anything up first. I dont really see how it would. Like I said I talked to a guy at the local track and he had a Western Motor Sports CAI and his is a 05 GT as well and it definatly does not have the Hydrocarbon trap as the WMS CAI is an extreamly short ram air aplication coming straight off the throttle body.

What would you rate your rwhp with just the CAI and tune when you ran that 12.8 second pass?

cheers
Old 07-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Kaisoboy
1st Gear Member

bump
Old 07-03-2008, 07:00 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

well, with just the K&N CAI and tune, I dynod 287 rwhp 308 rwtq, but that was in the middle of May and outside in Florida. Not sure if I could have pulled a 12 sec run in that kind of heat. My first 12 sec pass with just the CAI + tune was prob made around sept, so as you can imagine, much better air for producing hp.

I was somewhat skeptical about taking the hydrocarbon trap out as well, but I had asked Justin from VMP tuning (he did my 93 octance tune) if it was fine and he reassured me that everything would good without it. I'd recommend VMPs tune.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:18 PM
apex18
2nd Gear Member

I read guys saying that you are supossed to global spark retarded 5* not 4* just to be on the safe side, i think that is what i'm gonna do with my K&N when i run it with the 87 tune...
Old 07-03-2008, 11:30 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

OK I had that exact same CAI and the instructions said the same thing. I started the install and noticed that the hydrocarbon trp was not installed anyway. The car was brand new and did not have a tune. I just went ahead and installed the CAI without the trap and had no issues. But I did get a tune as I was running a little lean (which apparently can happen). Oh and I have an 06 GT and it did not come with one but apparently it should have ????[&:] Even if you get it dynoed shortly after to be safe and I suppose if they used a tailpipe sniffer for the dyno runs it would be accurate enough to see if there is any lean condition esp at WOT!
ORIGINAL: Kaisoboy

Inthe instructions for the above intake it said to remove the Hydrocarbon trap from the stock air box and install it in the FIPK intake. My question is, is it really necessary to have the hydrocarbon trap in the intake? It would seem to me that with it deleted that you would have better air flow through the intake to the throttle body and hence more HP. The reason I ask this is that I was talking to a fellow at the local track that had a WMS CAI (short ram air) on his car and there was no visible place to insert the carbon trap on his 05 mustang GT. So I was just curious if it is needed at all and if removed in your opinion would it cause any problems? I believe that it was deleted out of the 07-08 mustang GTs as being a stock setup for the OEM intake.

What's everyones input on this? Did you delete it or did you install it and would it do any harm not having it in?

cheers
Old 07-03-2008, 11:32 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

OK I guess I should have read the whole thread.... since you have a tune take the trap out and you will be fine..... I thought the car was stock and didn't have an aftermarket tune
ORIGINAL: Kaisoboy

Yes I am running the Diablo K&N 91 octane tune in the car global spark retarded 4* to run 87 for daily driving. I was just curious how many actually installed it like I did. I was thinking of removing it but wanted to make sure I was not going to screw anything up first. I dont really see how it would. Like I said I talked to a guy at the local track and he had a Western Motor Sports CAI and his is a 05 GT as well and it definatly does not have the Hydrocarbon trap as the WMS CAI is an extreamly short ram air aplication coming straight off the throttle body.

What would you rate your rwhp with just the CAI and tune when you ran that 12.8 second pass?

cheers
Old 07-04-2008, 02:53 AM
Kaisoboy
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I am running the diablo K&N 91 tune global spark set at -4* but -5* is safer for 87 octane. I talked to the guys at Diablo when I was down in Miami and they said that that is what they tell people to do when running 87 octane but I am at a higher elevation (3500' SL) so it is OK for me to run -4* (The rule of thumb is +/- 1* for desired octane from 91). I took the Hydrocarbon trap out today and went for a cruz. My LTFT seemed to get higher (12-14%) with STFT (+5 to 6%) without the trap and with the trap they were (+6 to 7%) with STFT at (+/- 4%) while highway cruising at 60mph (120 kph). So it would seem that there is definitely more air passing the MAF which is throwing off my L/STFTs. But at WOT my STFT will hit 15% which is commanding 12.5 to 12.8 AFR. So I re-installed the Hydrocarbon trap for now until I get our local mustang tuner guru to tune my car. If I don't go that route I may have Bamachips set me up.

cheers
Old 07-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Only early 2005 models have the carbon trap. They stopped putting them in at some point in the year.
My buddies Feb 2005 production car (the one that went 13.2 stock) didnt come with one.
Leaving it out gains 4-6 rwhp.

PS Whats wrong with 12.8 AFR (Other than being slightly rich)?
On NA cars its not unusual to see 13.1 AFR on these cars for best power.

Quick Reply: Question for those with K&N FIPK intake 05 Mustang GT