Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

PI Torque Converter and Related Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: PI Torque Converter and Related Questions

The race tune is the only Bama tune I have. It's a great tune you wont regret it
Old 07-06-2008, 04:13 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Yes PI is a good company and $1400 is good price for the converter and install. STAY AWAY from TCI and B&M, they are junk compared to PI, Fuddle and Yank. IMO you should look at a RATED 3500 stall and an STR of 2.5 or higher, with a lock style converter (which you have) your car will act pretty much like stock when you're just cruising around, but when you launch the car it will move out hard. Remember that stall speed will vary with the torque out put of a particular engine. IMO many people do not realize what/how a modern lock up converter works and base thier thinking on 1970's or 80's technology. I run a 4000 rpm Yank in my Camaro (yes I realize that it's a different car but my point is valid. ) and can drive it anywhere, in fact I regularly drive it 80 miled EACH WAY to the track, race and drive home. You get what you pay and that's especially true with torque converters, you should be paying $700 and up (MSRP) for a good, modern lock up converter.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:21 PM
hotairgypsy
3rd Gear Member

how is the quality on the fuddle?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

I don't get how mpg isn't lost with a higher stall on the hydro. That's impossible.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Legion5

I don't get how mpg isn't lost with a higher stall on the hydro. That's impossible.
Because when you have a lock up converterthe clutch inside locks up with no slippage, which means it will act like stock. Now of course other mods you have may have an impact on mpg's and when the unit is unlocked mpg is affected.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 PM
08StangGT_CS
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the info. I'll still have to think about this one. I don't go to the track that often, and it appears it will only help me for harder faster launching which is cool. But, is it really worth the investment. I'll decide soon. Anyways, I'm picking up my car from the shop today. Finally getting the damn gears installed! I'll see how that turns out!
Old 07-12-2008, 10:22 AM
RF2.1
2nd Gear Member

I agree with some of the others, around $1,400 for a PI multi-plate installed is about right. I think that's right around what I paid when I had my 3,000 stall PI unit put it. And definately go with PI - it's good quality to be sure. You'll certainly notice a difference once it's in. Gas mileage wise, though, I don't think my car changed much. I had the torque converter in for a couple of months before I put the Whipple in, and didn't notice much difference. The Whipple's effect on mpg, however, is another story...

David
Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Does anyone have a write-up or an article or something, or perhaps willing to explain to me how a torque converter works. I am getting that mod itch, and this might be the way to go. []

Unfortunately, I know nothing about it.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Krazyray
1st Gear Member

What does the stall mean? Kinda confused. Where a goodwebsite to look up TCs? Ive been plannng on getting SLP LTS and catted X, but im not so sure now this TC sounds like ill get better performance for the money.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:26 AM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VerginaStang

Does anyone have a write-up or an article or something, or perhaps willing to explain to me how a torque converter works. I am getting that mod itch, and this might be the way to go. []

Unfortunately, I know nothing about it.
+1

Quick Reply: PI Torque Converter and Related Questions