Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust ? (not about best/what to buy.)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:40 AM
WhichOnesTheGas

Default Exhaust ? (not about best/what to buy.)

I was curious. i am new to exhaust modifications and am looking for guidance. i wanted to place a super 44 flowmaster muffler onto (insert midpipe type, looking at magnaflow Tru-X offroad). However it does not show up in the list of items when i type in 2005 mustang gt into the flowmaster search bar. to put it simply, will the super 44 fit onto a 2005 mustang gt? does the type and size of midpipe matter? what size muffler should i be looking at so i can get an accurate guess of price?

also...which is the best exhaust brand...just kidding.

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:39 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust ? (not about best/what to buy.)

Well I cant help you on a part number but I can tell you that Yes its doable. Several people on here have 44 series mufflers on their GT's. It probably doesnt show up in the search because Flowmaster makes a special muffler setup just for our cars. Its the American Thunder series for 05+ model years. Sorry I cant give you more specifics. Oh, and its kind of a known fact around here that Flowmasters and X-pipes sound like hammered dooky. Flowmasters need an H-pipe or they sound like crap. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:09 PM
WhichOnesTheGas

Hey thanks FFK,

I was hesitant about the flowmasters because i have heard so much negativity about them. (im not really partial to having my decison(sp?) swayed by people, but ive heard it from family too). Ive been doing alot of research and it seems like the type of sound im really going for is similar if not exactly the sound that a full MAC set up makes. the only thing im hesitant about is the drone, and do you get a strong exhaust smell in the car from it? Im still want my girlfriends parents to respect me when im done with this[:@].

Again, another newbie question, whats the difference between long tube and direct fit (shorty) headers? benifits with both, downsides with both? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:55 PM
ScottsIre

I hear alot of negative feedback about Flows around here, but it's bunk as far as I'm concerned. My 40 Series Axelbacks sound PERFECT to me. I've heard other setups that are louder, but they usually come off as more obnoxious than anything. Mine have a nice low rumble & growl at higher RPM's before shifting and really open up and sound MEAN at full throttle. Minimal, tolerable drone.. little to none over 65 and crusing.

The video clips I've heard with people w/ Flows and an x-pipe, do sound awful They seem to 'trumpet' at high RPM and resemble a tin-can Euro muffler. If you're content with living without an x-pipe, any Flowmaster should suit you just fine. If you're looking for a more aggressive, LOUD racing muffler, you might want to consider something else.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:07 AM
thrift
1st Gear Member

i've got the super 44's on mine....no prob's with fitment....but mine is a custom weld in job on the AB.....
Old 07-10-2008, 07:15 AM
WhichOnesTheGas

Hey Scott!

Do you have just the axlebacks installed? Hows the drone with those?

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2008, 02:12 PM
ScottsIre

ORIGINAL: WhichOnesTheGas

Hey Scott!

Do you have just the axlebacks installed? Hows the drone with those?

Thanks!

It's John, by don't sweat it. I'm Scotish, hence the tag

Like I mentioned previously, drone is mildly present, but it's not overbearing or headache inducing by any means. Especially crusing above 60-65 mph, it's almost non-existant. To be honest, I like it, it gives the car a nice growl, inside and out.