Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Synthetic Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Synthetic Oil Question

ORIGINAL: Androdz2
Oh you did? did you read my first link? Scott Whitehead one of the engineers that designed the s197 actually states that the 5w-20 was made for cafe standards. Why dont you all just go to blackstonelabs order a free oil analysis kit and do your own oil analysis like some of us have so you can decide if 5w-20 is working(which it wont). The 5w-20 for clearance is primarily 90% false, yes it has tighter clearances but it does not require 5w-20.

Andrew
I really hate these 'What Oil do I use' threads. There is no consensus and they always turn into arguments. However I have to weigh in here since Androdz2brought it up. I too have heard Scott Whitehead wax on about this. It made me switch from 5W-20 to 5W-30. For those of you who don't knowScottis a former Ford engineer involved in the Mod motor design, a current driver in the NASA-AIX series, he wasthe crew chief for Rehagen Racing Grand Am team and he is an engineer on the Michael Waltrip Sprint Cup team. He has been quite clear on the subject and does not recommend 5W-20.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackS197

Your probably right i dont know and i dont really care to much. I put in 10w30 and i thought it was fine until someonetold me otherwise. Either way im sticking with the manual. I mightchange to 10w30 after my motor build.
Also for example saleen recommends 5w-30 on their cars hmmm
Old 07-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Oh you did? did you read my first link? Scott Whitehead one of the engineers that designed the s197 actually states that the 5w-20 was made for cafe standards. Why dont you all just go to blackstonelabs order a free oil analysis kit and do your own oil analysis like some of us have so you can decide if 5w-20 is working(which it wont). The 5w-20 for clearance is primarily 90% false, yes it has tighter clearances but it does not require 5w-20.

Andrew
I really hate these 'What Oil do I use' threads. There is no consensus and they always turn into arguments. However I have to weigh in here since Androdz2brought it up. I too have heard Scott Whitehead wax on about this. It made me switch from 5W-20 to 5W-30. For those of you who don't knowScottis a former Ford engineer involved in the Mod motor design, a current driver in the NASA-AIX series, he wasthe crew chief for Rehagen Racing Grand Am team and he is an engineer on the Michael Waltrip Sprint Cup team. He has been quite clear on the subject and does not recommend 5W-20.
Exactly not only that I have run different oil analysis and they have shown 5w-20 breaking down. 5w-20 is just too thin.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Can someone post a link to Whitehead's remarks?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riptide

Can someone post a link to Whitehead's remarks?
well if you would read the posts and all you will see the link on my post -.-. Guys I posted the links so you can read for yourselves!

Andrew
Old 07-08-2008, 08:34 PM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

It's funny how fast the recommendation changes when CAFE concerns are no longer a factor (they get gas guzzler taxed anyway). Roush also recommends 5w-30.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EricM

It's funny how fast the recommendation changes when CAFE concerns are no longer a factor (they get gas guzzler taxed anyway). Roush also recommends 5w-30.

I guess i might just have to change to 10w30. Roush and saleen recommends 10w30? didnt know that.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

5w-30
Old 07-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I highly doubt you'll ever see a tangible difference in using any oil brand mentioned, synthetic or otherwise. Therefore, pick the one that has a pretty bottle, lol. I've run synthetic, blends, and dinos in a variety of cars over the years and I haven't a shred of evidence to support any of them impacting the vehicle negatively. My personal opinion is to keep to a reasonable change interval for your chosen oil, and most importantly use a high quality filter.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:52 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mudflap

I highly doubt you'll ever see a tangible difference in using any oil brand mentioned, synthetic or otherwise. Therefore, pick the one that has a pretty bottle, lol. I've run synthetic, blends, and dinos in a variety of cars over the years and I haven't a shred of evidence to support any of them impacting the vehicle negatively. My personal opinion is to keep to a reasonable change interval for your chosen oil, and most importantly use a high quality filter.
Well there is a huge difference between oils... For example open any engine that has been running synthetic oils and then open any that has used conventional oils. The difference in oil build-up is huge. Run an engine hard with a conventional oil and then do an oil analysis and then do the same with amsoil or redline. Then tell me your finds

Andres

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Question