Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:26 PM
sdreid

Default CAI question

I know this question keeps popping up, but i need some more opinions on which CAI to buy, if there is one to buy that doesn't require a tune, will itharm the engine it isn't tuned. I have a tuner, but if i put the cai on, will it effect anything if i put it on for a while until i can get it tuned. if anyone can help me that would be great.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:08 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI question

hey sdreid, if the CAI requires a tune, then
you will not want to install it, before you
can load the custom tune at the same time.

the reason for this is, the CAI will allow more air
into the manifold then the MAF and tune can
account for, resulting in a lean condition.

as for which CAI to buy, i really like the JLTII, but
the C&L is equally as nice.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Back N Black
2nd Gear Member

Get the appropriate tune for the intake. An intake that does not require a tune just isn't worth it.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

All of the CAI's are equivalent in performance. Get one that fits your budget and appeals to your eyes.

Ditto Back N Black: Get the CAI & tune combo. 4-6 times the RWHP than the CAI alone.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

I'd recommend the C&L Street CAI. It now comes with a no-tune insert (insert in MAF housing which 'conditions' the airflow to emmulate stock flow.. but actually flows 60% more volume). You can pick up 15-18HP without a tune... and with a tune another 10-12HP. Take a look at their website and this link:

http://www.cnlperformance.com/notune.html

http://www.cnlperformance.com/2005GT.html

I ran this setup for just over a year and had zero issues. There is also a noticable performance difference with the C&L no-tune vs stock intake. When you're ready for a tune, just pull out the insert.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:52 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

there is a difference in intakes, but its talkin a few horse power... ive heard that the C&L, JLT, and Steeda are the best intakes... I run the steeda, but I have heard the C&L and JLT are just a little bigger... and tune is need for these intakes...

a friend of mine is running a K&N intake on his without a tune... but, Im not so sure K&N was the best option seeing all of the other available options out for our cars... that are probably much more power efficient than K&N...
Old 07-11-2008, 10:00 AM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

C&L seems to be the favorite on this forum. The big combo seems to be the C&L and the STXII. Probably because the STXIII is still pretty new. Anybody got a review on the STXIII yet?
Old 07-12-2008, 03:15 AM
djmac95
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DoctorQ

I'd recommend the C&L Street CAI. It now comes with a no-tune insert (insert in MAF housing which 'conditions' the airflow to emmulate stock flow.. but actually flows 60% more volume). You can pick up 15-18HP without a tune... and with a tune another 10-12HP. Take a look at their website and this link:

http://www.cnlperformance.com/notune.html

http://www.cnlperformance.com/2005GT.html

I ran this setup for just over a year and had zero issues. There is also a noticable performance difference with the C&L no-tune vs stock intake. When you're ready for a tune, just pull out the insert.

+1 The C&L Street Intake is a great intake and sounds perfect for what you're looking to do.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Joe06

I just installed the C & L street CAI with the no tune insert on my 06 GT auto this weekend. There is a definate seat of the pants difference in acceleration. I feel the 15 - 18 HP increase is legit. The exhaust note also changed significantly for the better. I have the FRPP GTA's.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:49 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joe06

I just installed the C & L street CAI with the no tune insert on my 06 GT auto this weekend. There is a definate seat of the pants difference in acceleration. I feel the 15 - 18 HP increase is legit. The exhaust note also changed significantly for the better. I have the FRPP GTA's.

the real power will come with the tune.

Quick Reply: CAI question