Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best X-Pipe????

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 05:19 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Best X-Pipe????

Ok, next mod is going to be an x-pipe. Now composite or stainless? I frequently drive 10 minutes and turn the car off and I'm not sure if the composite will rust out in 2 years or not.

Cats or not? (I know this is being discussed on another thread but I thought I'd include it anyway) I hear the car likes the back pressure from the Cats but also that the car has hi-flows already, but are they as good as CompCats and the ones on the Magnaflow setup.

How much HP? If the X-Pipes aren't getting the dyno #'s for the $$$$ it may be back to the drawing board for the next mod. Does anyone know any #'s for them on the 05's?

I don't want to do headers yet and I'm putting SHM UD pulleys on right after the X-Pipe.

Advice, Opinions, Experiences?????????
Old 05-13-2005, 07:29 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Best X-Pipe????

Well I guess no one has ever had one. Mabey I'll be the first!!!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 04:41 PM
SMP
1st Gear Member

Here are a before and after sound clip of Bassani Exhaust...
Found this on the internet and cant wait till my exhaust comes in

Stock exhaust---http://www.sonicbluenirvana.com/Stock.wmv

Bassani exhaust---http://www.sonicbluenirvana.com/Bassani.wmv
Old 05-15-2005, 07:38 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DAVE05GT

Ok, next mod is going to be an x-pipe. Now composite or stainless? I frequently drive 10 minutes and turn the car off and I'm not sure if the composite will rust out in 2 years or not.

Cats or not? (I know this is being discussed on another thread but I thought I'd include it anyway) I hear the car likes the back pressure from the Cats but also that the car has hi-flows already, but are they as good as CompCats and the ones on the Magnaflow setup.

How much HP? If the X-Pipes aren't getting the dyno #'s for the $$$$ it may be back to the drawing board for the next mod. Does anyone know any #'s for them on the 05's?

I don't want to do headers yet and I'm putting SHM UD pulleys on right after the X-Pipe.

Hi Dave05,

I'm scheduled at JBA Racing's shop in San Diego for a set of ceramic coated (Ti color), JBA shortys along with a Steeda CAI and Predator system this coming Tuesday the 17th. JBA said they wouldn't install the Magnaflow Tru-X pipe w/race cats as I requested for some reason even though they carry them. I guess I'll have to get the Magnaflow Tru-X w/cats from Brother's Performance or some other local dealer here in SoCal. From what I've seen and heard Magnaflow's exhaust system when used with their new Tru-X pipe w/cats is good for up to 19HP, I'll see if this is true or not next week.

I've also heard JBA shortys are good for up to 33HP depending on who's dyno and what tune was used. So my guess is that with the Steeda CAI/Diablo Predator and JBA headers I'm expecting to see 35-40HP and with the Magnaflow exhaust and Tru-X w/cats and some dyno work maybe 55-60HP total. I'm going to pass on UD pulleys all together and go with a Meziere electric water pump which I know is good for freeing up a full 10HP. I just need to find a way to turn on the pump relay without hacking up my wiring, anybody got a Ford factory manual yet?

I now think that using all of the best available bolt-on parts including: Meziere electric water pump, Steeda or C&L CAI, the flapless CMCP from Steeda, JBA's shorty headers, Magnaflow or Basanni X-pipe w/race cats and a SCT or Diablo Sport Predator with a custom tune-up on a chassis dyno using 91+ octane will yield an honest 75-80HP improvement in HP on the dyno. With simple port matching of the heads and a light clean-up and polish maybe another 30-40 HP, imagine a 400HP naturally aspirated 4.6L '05 GT! I'm working on it starting on Tuesday.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:40 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

F1Fan... keep us posted on your progress and results!!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:49 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

imagine a 400HP naturally aspirated 4.6L '05 GT! I'm working on it starting on Tuesday.
That would be impressive considering that SHM could not get those numbers and they engineer parts for the things.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:49 PM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply F1fan, sounds like you've got a good plan and I'm looking forward to seeing what you get out of those mods. 400 HP would be the s***, better start thinking about tires![sm=gears.gif]
Old 05-17-2005, 11:57 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DAVE05GT

Hi Dave05,

I'm scheduled at JBA Racing's shop in San Diego for a set of ceramic coated (Ti color), JBA shortys along with a Steeda CAI and Predator system this coming Tuesday the 17th. JBA said they wouldn't install the Magnaflow Tru-X pipe w/race cats as I requested for some reason even though they carry them. I guess I'll have to get the Magnaflow Tru-X w/cats from Brother's Performance or some other local dealer here in SoCal. From what I've seen and heard Magnaflow's exhaust system when used with their new Tru-X pipe w/cats is good for up to 19HP, I'll see if this is true or not next week.

I've also heard JBA shortys are good for up to 33HP depending on who's dyno and what tune was used. So my guess is that with the Steeda CAI/Diablo Predator and JBA headers I'm expecting to see 35-40HP and with the Magnaflow exhaust and Tru-X w/cats and some dyno work maybe 55-60HP total. I'm going to pass on UD pulleys all together and go with a Meziere electric water pump which I know is good for freeing up a full 10HP. I just need to find a way to turn on the pump relay without hacking up my wiring, anybody got a Ford factory manual yet?

I now think that using all of the best available bolt-on parts including: Meziere electric water pump, Steeda or C&L CAI, the flapless CMCP from Steeda, JBA's shorty headers, Magnaflow or Basanni X-pipe w/race cats and a SCT or Diablo Sport Predator with a custom tune-up on a chassis dyno using 91+ octane will yield an honest 75-80HP improvement in HP on the dyno. With simple port matching of the heads and a light clean-up and polish maybe another 30-40 HP, imagine a 400HP naturally aspirated 4.6L '05 GT! I'm working on it starting on Tuesday.

Opps,

The JBA folks had to order my suspension parts from Steeda and they didn't make it for installation this week, JBA said next week Tuesday for sure so I'm going down at the crack o'dawn NEXT Tuesday so they can get it ALL done in a single day. Hopefully I can stop in at Magnaflow on the way back and pick up a Tru-X Pipe w/cats and maybe a set of Magnaflow axle-backs. JBA not wanting to install the Tru-X is kind of messing me up because I can't get dyno readings on the same dyno this way unless I drive all the way back down to San Diego after I get the Magnaflow Tru-X and axle-back installed, grrrr...

Old 05-18-2005, 12:36 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

imagine a 400HP naturally aspirated 4.6L '05 GT! I'm working on it starting on Tuesday.
That would be impressive considering that SHM could not get those numbers and they engineer parts for the things.

Well 400Hp would be pretty good for a car that is emissions controlled, but in absolute terms not that impressive. Anyway, I think 400HP from a modern 3-valve 4.8l engine with fuel injection should be doable. The trick is that the 4.8l can breath much better than the old 302 heads even ported with monster valves. Carbs suck, they can make big HP but always loose to FI in the torque wars and simply cannot match FI for efficency and driveability.

Here's my plan:

step 1) 25HP = Steeda CAI w/Predator
step 1) 5HP = evaporative filter
step 1) 15HP = JBA shorty headers
step 1) 15HP = Magnaflow Tru-X w/race cats and axle backs
step 2) 10HP = Meziere electic water pump
step 2) 10HP = Steeda CMCP
step 2) 40HP = Full intake/exhaust port matching, clean and polish heads

This simple bolt-on stuff even rated very conservatively should yield at least 100-110HP total once put on a chassis dyno and optimized with the Predator. This means that I should be able to see 300-320 RWHP with my inital bolt-ons if my own 4.8l M5 is a decent one. That's my inital target anyway.