Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

N2O On Barricade

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Default N2O On Barricade

Well guys, I just bought a motorcycle so I can keep miles off Barricade andstart to restoreher (paint, etc). On that note, I do not have the money for the supercharger right now but will in ayear or so. With that, I have decided to run a 125 wet shot starting around Christmas time. I am leaving my car in Texas while I go to school in Cali and will ride my bike there. I will be taking my car to the track very frequently when I am back for the holidays (christmas, summer, thanksgiving, spring break, etc.) So with that in mind (not being a DD anymore), I want some advice running nitrous. I have been doing some homework on the systems a PRETTY MUCH know what I want to do.

I have heard that these cars do not need a fuel pump upgrade until a 150 shot. Any thoughts on this? I am going to run the jets close to the throttle body because I want the nitrous to hit hard . I plan on using a bottle warmer. I want to use a button to activate the nitrous, not half throttle initiation. What does a window switch do? How does it operate? Nitrous is one of the few things I don't know much about on these cars.

Basically, I need someone to educate me on nitrous setups, not how it works. Any input is appreciated!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:28 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default RE: NO2 On Barricade

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

What does a window switch do? How does it operate?
A window switch controls a range where the nitrous will spray. You dont want the nitrous to engage too early (below 2500rpms) or stay on too long (over 6k rpms) as this can cause engine damage.

The window switch works in conjunction with the WOT switch to ensure the nitrous only engages under the correct parameters.

I would set it from 3k rpms to 6k rpms.

I would defineatly get a bottle warmer, purge, pressure gauge, blow down tube.

For the S197 I would get the zex kit as it is easy to install and comes with alot of great stuff for the money. The Zex also has a fuel cut off, so if you have a fuel pump failure it stops the nitrous. That is nice to have.

As far as fuel, I never ran nitrous on a S197 only a SN-95 but 150 shot sounds about right.

If you know you are getting a SC later why not just upgrade if you have the $$. Get the GT-500 pumps and then you have nothing to worry about when you install your saleen SC. You can turn it up to 10psi day one.

Good luck
Old 07-17-2008, 12:32 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the help. The ONLY reason I do not want to upgrade the fuel system just yet is due to funds...its hard to pay for a bike and this damn car! haha
Old 07-17-2008, 02:03 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I would start with a 75 shot and work your way up to make sure you arent running out of fuel or anything. Get a dyno tune too. or at least a mail order nitrous tune from Brent.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:36 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Im going to be getting a dyno tune. Can I tune for a 75 shot and a 125 shot?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:00 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I would tune for the 125 and use it still when you spray less. The nitrous tune is basically just going to remove timing so you probably want an everyday street tune, and a track nitrous tune. If you really want to consider it a track car see if you can get 100 unleaded near you and use that for your race tune that will let you keep more timing.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:15 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

I want to be able to spray on the streets as well...it will not be a track car, it will just see the track frequently
Old 07-17-2008, 03:42 PM
jtscuba02
2nd Gear Member

If you go with the Zex kit, you don't need the window switch. The kit comes with one. It taps into the TPS and only engages at WOT. As far as tuning for a 75 and 150 shot, it depends on what tuner you have. I think my predator will store 5 tunes, but my xcal only stores 3. jt
Old 07-17-2008, 04:25 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

The Zex kit comes with a throttle position switch (TPS) all kits for the S197 come with one. That's entirely different from an RPM window switch, which is sometimes extra depending upon the kit.

Some people use a system with just a TPS, but it still might be possible to spray prior to 3k and after 6k while at wide open throttle, which could lead to engine damage. (What happens if you miss a shift for example?)

Why risk it just to save $150?

Zex can control nitrous based on fuel available. It makes sense that it could be used as a fuel pressure safety switch, I hadn't thought about that.

If you decide not to go with Zex and purchase NOS, Edelbrock or Nitrous Express, then you'll need to add a fuel pressure safety switch (FPPS). All have dedicated Mustang kits. An FPPS is pretty cheap about $20-$40.

If you want to use it on the street, then you'll need a remote bottle opener. All the major companies supply one.

Here are a couple of S197 nitrous articles:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...kit/index.html
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...all/index.html

Old 07-17-2008, 04:35 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Looks like I will be going with the Zex kit then. Anyone know where to get em' cheap? [8D]

Quick Reply: N2O On Barricade