Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple Guys, Intercooler Upgrade (Maybe other S/C's as well)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default Whipple Guys, Intercooler Upgrade (Maybe other S/C's as well)

Well I have been looking at the Whipple Intercooler reservoir and it seems needlessly small. I think that mounted in the same location you could at least double the capacity.

I have seen some of the GT-500 upgrades but I understand that it mounts up near the radiator and I dont want to be moving a bunch of stuff around just for more capacity.

So I plan to go custom . I have a friend of a friend who is supposedly an outstanding aluminum welder. With dimensions and parts he can make anything. So I think I am going to mock something up with cardboard, refine it, and then have it made.

I have a few questions though for people.

Would any of you guys be interested in having one too? No idea on cost yet but I am just getting a feel for if there is a market for them.

Second thing is does anyone know where to get a cap and lower fittings for the tank?

I need 2 aluminum barb fittings that can be welded in, anyone know what size the stock whipple's are? Where I could buy them would be good too.

Also I wanted a caplike the AFAB or something that would be good for this application. It would have to be something that could be welded to aluminum. Price and where to buy again.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:01 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple Guys, Intercooler Upgrade (Maybe other S/C's as well)

Well once you have yours, post pics here and we will all tell ya what we think
Old 07-24-2008, 01:03 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Here is my intercooler tank I had fabricated. Holds over 4 gallons and/or 20 pounds of ice.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:12 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

guru, i have a water temp gauge in my I.C.
coolant stream, i've seen temps of
no more then about 105*, after doing several
WOT runs in ~75* ambient temps.

are you wanting a larger reservoir to be able
to add ice when needed, or to reduce the
coolant temp in general

Old 07-24-2008, 01:51 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I would definently be interested in this. Let me know how it pans out.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to drive my whippled mustang .... Took it to be installed 3 weeks ago and the detonation problems still haven't been solved. I haven't even seen it yet. Jay has been in direct contact with the guy who wrote the calibration at Ford Racing. No one seems to know whats going on. Such a long story, I won't high jack the thread anymore...just feels good to vent a little
Old 07-24-2008, 02:06 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

zkiller - Looks great. But unfortuneatly the whipple runs its intake on that side soI cant go quite that big. I hopeing for something about half that size. Where did you get that cap? Also the lower fittings.

Hammer - I dont have a temp gauge for the intercooler but I do have a temp sensor for the IAT's. I want it because it is so hot here in FL so the extra capacity would be nice. Also after the next round of mods I am going to the track some and wanted to be able to run a fair amount of ice in it. Plus it will look cool .

American - Sorry to hear about all the car troubles. My suggestion is still to go see Justin @ VMP asap. Trailor it there if you have to. I am sure he can get it figured out. Not the best solution at all but what about buying a tank of race gas? It should get you running and I would hope you wouldnt have detonation on that. I am on a business trip next week, but after that feel free to pm me. It will be worth it when you get it running right. We can go take a cruise. Oh one last thought, why dont you see if you can run an 8 or 6 psi pulley on it? I assume you have a Gen 2 blower, so someone with an 6 psi gen 1 pulley would be 8psi on that one probably, might help.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangGT0405

American - Sorry to hear about all the car troubles. My suggestion is still to go see Justin @ VMP asap. Trailor it there if you have to. I am sure he can get it figured out. Not the best solution at all but what about buying a tank of race gas? It should get you running and I would hope you wouldnt have detonation on that. I am on a business trip next week, but after that feel free to pm me. It will be worth it when you get it running right. We can go take a cruise. Oh one last thought, why dont you see if you can run an 8 or 6 psi pulley on it? I assume you have a Gen 2 blower, so someone with an 6 psi gen 1 pulley would be 8psi on that one probably, might help.
I wish it were that easy. Detonated with the FRPP 93 tune, detonated with the FRPP 91 tune, checked for air leaks, Jay completely took theblower parts off and maticulously checked everything to make sure no damage, had the injectors flow tested, tried 3 different tanks of gas to make sure we didn't have bad gas, still detonated. Filled up the tank with 100 octane, still detonated. I think Ford racing has ran out of ideas also.Jay says it sounds like an isolated cylinder, so I guess the nextstep is to see if that's the case. I'd take it to VMP, but if there is somethingmechanically wrong, they wouldn't be able to fix it and I'd end uphalling it back to Real Street. I can't even begin to describe how painful it is to have this kind of patience.

Maybe a MF mass prayer will help my cars recovery, at this point, I'm willing to try anything.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:55 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple Guys, Intercooler Upgrade (Maybe other S/C'

I have an article coming up so I can't show you any pics (yet) but I had a similar resevior as zkiller and it worked well enough.

I now have my intercooler resevior in the trunk along with my fuel cell (I have a return system).

My resevior holds a whopping 15 gallons of water and over 100 lbs of ice! I will usually run about 1/2 capacity.

A larger IC resevior is a wise move on any water cooled FI kit IMO. Not just ice downs at the track, but the extra capacity also aids in daily driving (especially stop and go) as well.

Something you should be aware of though is that despite what you probably think, you DO NOT want to use a big IC pump. The standard whipple and KB pumps are right on the money. They flow about 5 gpm's.

Many shops tell you to put a big pump on their that flows 20+ gpm's but, although it sounds good, what happens is the water moves too fast and actually doesn't do it's job cooling down the IC. What happens is you end up just making your IC resevior water hotter faster.

You want to stick to a relatively small pump but go with a larger resevior. You want to make sure if you get a custom set-up, to include a check valve in the construction and you want to make sure you use a nice trick or two to ensure your pick-up never gets blocked if you plan on running ice at the track.

What I did was run cylinder along the inside of the tank that I drilled out with lots of holes. I ran the pick-up under the cylinder so the water has to pass through the 'filter' I made before going to to the pickup.

This is doing it 'right'...

Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 PM
ApexStang
2nd Gear Member

Question regarding engine temps. I have a Whipple Intercooled kit. I'm wondering what everyone's temperatures are running? I feel like mine runs a little hot.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:27 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

What's a little hot? Do you have a gauge other than the stock one in the car? Need more info Apex!!!!

I have the stock gauge and it is never any higher then before the s/c and went I am cruising (say 50 MPH+) it drops even more (which it never did before). I guess that can be credited to the 160 deg thermostat (as opposed to the 190)? So my car does run cooler in general even after "getting on her" (so to speak) but not WOT. I have yet to do a 1/4 mile run but have many "spirited sprints" on the expressway and a few while city driving.

Quick Reply: Whipple Guys, Intercooler Upgrade (Maybe other S/C's as well)