Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo ?s,need advice. Please read&respond

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:07 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo ?s,need advice. Please read&respond

With your plans I would recommend the THP kit with upgrades to the 67mm BB turbo, intercooler and the 44mm waste gate. This setup would be around $5300 and will give you the lower HP numbers you initially want without excessive spool time but still be good for 600-6550 with increase in boost and bigger injectors at a later date.

You will also need a fuel system upgrade and the best bang for the buck is the GT500 fuel setup. For boost control you can go crazy with electronic controllers or just get a simple mechanical like the Hallman. I would recommend at least a wideband, boost and fuel pressure gauges.

Earl
Old 07-29-2008, 08:06 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

The base Powerhouse kit is a 67mm and likely the performance will be the same as with other kits using a 67mm. Think it goes from about 450 rwhp on pump to around 675 rwhp on race gas.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:10 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

If he has a stock auto then that would be too much.. To the OP Whatever you choose consider getting it intercooled...

ORIGINAL: forensicsteve

The base Powerhouse kit is a 67mm and likely the performance will be the same as with other kits using a 67mm. Think it goes from about 450 rwhp on pump to around 675 rwhp on race gas.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:04 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

I will definitely get an intercooler. If I go THP, will the standard intercooler work or should I get the upgraded one? If I go PH, could I just turn down the boost to stay around 400 horses until I upgrade the trans and engine?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 07-30-2008, 06:58 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

If I go PH, could I just turn down the boost to stay around 400 horses until I upgrade the trans and engine?
Not sure about going down to 400 rwhp. The 450 rwhp lower number is designed for the tolerance levels of your stock components like block, transmission, clutch etc,and of course pump gas. I only mention the upper power range since the same turbo is capable of delivering so much more if the owner decides. In this case, of course, many other modifications must be considered.

The turbo I have from Powerhouse is custom builtandsized for race applications.

Just give Mike Bowen a call.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

I'm probably just being a little over cautious. I have an auto and I've read that 400 to 450 horses is the safe range for the motor and trans. I was looking at the lower level for a little bit more security. I wish I could find someone in my area that had one of these kits so I could get a better look and feel for one of these kits.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-05-2008, 06:36 PM
LegendLime06

Rebel,
Im almost in the same boat as you; I want to turbo charge my baby with maybe as much as 8 psi, but nothing that requires jerking the engine and buying thousands of dollars in extras (Army pay isnt that great). Im glad to hear youhave done a lot of research, as I am only getting started. I am starting my search of the Knox (Louisville) area for some guys that specialize in Stangs or musclecars in general, but no luck yet. I dont really want to try install by myself, Im not a mechanic by trade or hobby. Even if you find someone in your area, I couldtrailer the car to a good shop for install. In short, Im not trying toget to GT500 standards, but something small that will set her apart...without changing everything under the hood to get there. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

Hey Lime,
First I want to thank you for your service to this country.

I live smack dab in the middle between St. Louis and Memphis. Three hours either North or South. You'd think there would be a speed shop around that does turbos on our cars but I cannot find one. Well I have found two but I don't know about them. One is on the south side of St. Louis but from their website it looks like they mainly deal with HP Performance turbos. From what I've read, I do not want to go with a turbo from HP. There is another shop in Memphis but they are more into the previous generation of Mustangs.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-06-2008, 11:00 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Rebel - Dont own a turbo but I did lots of research so here is my 2 cents, listen if you want.

The number one thing I see is that with your Auto you really wont want to go over 420rwhp unless you are ready to upgrade your trans to a 4r70w. If you do the upgrade then the rods are your weakest link and you can push it to 450rwhp.

The only other major thing as SIMON already stated you have to get a tune. If you went with an SC I would say you would probably be alright because they arent as picky. But a turbo needs a dyno tune, by somone who knows what they are doing. I wouldnt go anywhere that doesnt have tons of experience. Like was stated above, trailor / push / drag it somewhere and get it tuned. Best $$ you will spend.

Personally I would go to Brenspeed and get the hellion kit. I like that they install and tune for it all the time and I trust Urist's design. Ground clearance shouldnt be a huge problem at stock ride height and as stated it is your best bet to pass emissions. You might not need that now but if you ever move, or the laws change you will be glad you did.

From what I have read you can go to the BMR k member and have the exhaust tucked up higher down the road.

I was close to going the root listed above except Brenspeed is like 20+ hours from me so I went Whipple. Local install and VMP is one town over so it worked out better for me.

Good Luck.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 PM
LegendLime06

Thanks, Rebel. I love watching all these guys mod out their mustangs, but I will just keep my eyes open for a good speed shop here local. The one good piece of advice I follow is to have a good and trusted crew do the final tune before you try any serious mods. Since mine is a daily driver, I cant afford to have her down for an extended period or chance breaking something major, so I will save my nickels and dimes and hope the opportunity comes along before I run out of patience. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Turbo ?s,need advice. Please read&respond