Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Granatelli coils

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default Granatelli coils

I'm done with granatelli's coils. This weekend I lost power and threw a code for random cylinder misfire. On a whim, I switched out my granatellis for the stock coils. Problem gone. To be certain, I swapped the granatellis back in and sure enough, the problem returned. I'll be sticking with the stock coils from here on out. If they're good enough for modaddict, they are good enough for me.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:31 AM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Granatelli coils

How long have you been running them? I was actually considering going with aftermarket coils. I was looking at Granatelli and MSD. Did you see any noticable power gain with them in spite of the recent issues?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:40 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

I use stock COP's. I thought about swapping and the concensus at my shop is don't do it. The stock ones are fine and the aftermarket one's seem to cause more trouble then benefit.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

If they're good enough for modaddict, they are good enough for me.
Moddadict? Has his car even been out of the shop in the last 6 months. (12 months?)
Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 AM
svfetter
2nd Gear Member

How Long Have you had these? How Many Miles? Were these the latest 2nd generation COPs which thay said they have gotten all the problems out of? If so, they may need to look at them again. What about warranty??

Aftermarket Products always claim to be better than stock. Yet we see in many cases that they may out perform stock for only a short time, then fail. IMO not much good in that case. Very disappointing if these are indeed 2nd generation coils.

I have been considering them myself. Guess I will stick with stock. Good Luck. Hope you can get your money back or at least get them to replace the bad coil.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:27 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

My 2nd generation GMS coils have had a failure yet, since April. I had 4 fail in the first generation coils.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:10 AM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zkiller

My 2nd generation GMS coils have had a failure yet, since April. I had 4 fail in the first generation coils.
Hey Zkiller, I assume you meant that you had not had a failure since April for the generation 2. Did you notice any real gains from these products over stock? Basically, were the worth the cost?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Granatelli sent me them free after the first generation had issues.
Yes my car runs and pulls better with these and they completely eliminate spark blow-out.
I also have a set of MSD coils which worked fine but the 2nd generation GMS were better.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

OK, to answer all questions:

I ran them for about 2 months.

They were great when I first installed them up until this weekend. The engine was noticably smoother until the issues started on saturday.

Yes, modaddict has been in the shop for a while getting some serious upgrades. He took the car out to the track once that I know of after the 3.4 liter whipple was installed.

Yes, these were the second gen coils.

I put maybe400 miles on them.

I am not concerned with warranty at this point. After have issues with the first and second gen coils from granatelli, I'm going back to stock and considering it an expensive lesson in modifying cars.

I should note that the problem was not the same as it was with the first coils. With the first gen coils, I'd get a code for a specific cylinder, and that would be the one with the bad coil. With these, it felt like my car just suddenly lost power. I was actually concerned that myclutch was slipping from the way it felt, but then the car threw the "random cylinder misfire" code which gave me an inkling of what the real culprit was.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:22 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Okay, sounds like something to avoid. Thanks for the insight. Always helpful to know.

Quick Reply: Granatelli coils