Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mac or JBA

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:12 PM
finally got one

Default Mac or JBA

I just put on the ARH header system with X pipe. Now I want to go cat back. Who should I go with MAC or JBA. Money is no prob. I'll pay for the best. Mike at ARH said the stock exaust would sound good, but I want more. Any and all input is better than nothing. Thanks guys. After I get it tuned I'll post some numbers....
Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I had the JBAs, but they were on the stock H-pipe. I thought they sounded good. I hear that MAC will be deeper, but the drone seems to be a problem for some people. Here is a video with JBAs and a Bassani X-pipe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYk1n...eature=related
I see you live in Virgina Beach. I grew up there, and my parents still live there.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:38 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I'd say either Boomtubes or Corsa.

I really like the deepness of the Borla stingers but they are supposed to have a bunch of drone. Which, that would be fine for a car that's not a DD. I don't know if yours is or not.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:44 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I have Magnapacks on my car now. Nice deep tone with an H-pipe. With an X-pipe, which some people recommend with these mufflers, will add a little more raspniess and little less of deep tone.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:43 AM
finally got one

This car is my DD, and I dont mind drone. After all this is done I'm going cams so the more sound the better to hear the lope. I've heard that MAC is the best for 05 and up Mustangs, however I've had my eye on JBA for a while. Both systems are a bought the same in price I just wanted some first hand accounts from other drivers. All the video clips in the world you really can't use those.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:01 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I know some people say that the drone is so bad with the MACs, that it gives them a headache and make them naseous. I don't know if it's really that bad; I have never driven in a car with MACs.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:08 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

I have MAC on my GT and I really don't think the drone is as bad as some make it out to be. I don't get headaches from driving my car. I actually enjoy the deep sound. I guess everyone has their own opinion though.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:32 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBYLKGzJhnI

watch in high qaulity, bottom right of video. That is onyl with o/r x , with your LT it will sound wicked mean IMO. pypes m-80 with slp LM

This is my 4th exhaust set up and im finally done, maybe the adittion of shorites...

If I had to choose Id go macs over jba. I started off with the macs and liked them alot just tried diff things, they are pretty loud in the car, especially once u switch them out and its liek stock quiet inside, but really its not, slp lm and the macs were loud inside.

Last edited by TOMBSTANG; 09-27-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:32 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Learn it yourself. I'm done.

Last edited by BruceH; 11-13-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:38 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
I had JBA's on the stock exhaust. Lots of cabin drone at certain rpms. The worst part about JBA was the alignment notch on one muffler wouldn't quite line up, the tube had been welded out of alignment. There was a mark where it was obvious I wasn't the first to fit this muffler to the car. The distributor swore they don't resell returns, when JBA was contacted by the distributor they were told to take the mufflers in return and install them on someone elses car becuase the new customer just wouldn't notice.
I went back and forth on posting this info. I read so much good stuff about JBA before the purchase and I don't want to be the guy who has a chip on his shoulder. However, as a part of this online community I have to share this experience. Stay away from JBA. I now understand why most of the reputable Mustang supply stores don't carry their products. I could understand them not clocking the pipe right, it happens. When JBA customer service suggested reselling defective merchandise to another customer I decided there is no way they will get any more of my cash. Business practices like that don't need to be rewarded.
I had JBAs on stock exhaust and I thought the droned very little. I almost had to force it to drone. JBAs do have a great mellow tone that sound really good when you step on it. Here is a little video of how JBAs sound inside my car. Oh!, I do agree they can be a little bit of hassle to align properly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w4tYXGPD68