Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple or ProCharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple or ProCharger

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

I've seen/read of way more instances of ProChargers with leaking seals getting sent back / rebuilt.
Anyone ever have a problem with a Whipple? I think Twin Screw superchargers are more reliable....
Procharger did have a bad batch with leaky seals, but whipple had a bad batch of leaky intercoolers, so it's kind of a wash. The important thing is, both companies stood by their product and fixed the issue for those affected.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:55 PM
07gttom
1st Gear Member

like said, do you want instant torque/power in the lower rpm's, or do you want the power to build higher in the rpm's. also, are you installing it yourself? might want to do some searches and look for members who have done the installs theirselves. i chose the whipple because it was more of a complete kit and i got it for a good deal, and i installed it myself to keep the overall cost down.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:17 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

ProChargers kit is complete as well. Only thing I had to buy to finish the install was heat shrink with solder in them to connect some wire splices. Did it in about 13 hrs with some goofing off and picture taking.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:10 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Whipple for reliability. The procharger will make more power.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:05 PM
fastford20

whipple ftmfw!!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:11 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I gotta say, I really like the whistle the pro charger makes (although I think the unit itself looks weird). There's no hiding that there's some monster power when being next to a car with one.

It always seemed odd to me that with a pro charger the air filter is at the rear of the engine compartment where the hottest air will be. But I guess the intercooler makes up for that.

Also, why are you only looking at whipple and pro charger? What about Kenne Bell and Paxton/Vortech or even Roush TVS? Gosh...so many options! LOL.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

A twin screw supercharger will make more power "under the curve" below 5000 RPM on 8 psi, then a Centri does pushing 10 psi. So, for a street car you are getting more usable power with a twin-screw. After overlaying dyno charts (from the same shop) centri vs twinscrew....I went TS.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

A twin screw supercharger will make more power "under the curve" below 5000 RPM on 8 psi, then a Centri does pushing 10 psi. So, for a street car you are getting more usable power with a twin-screw. After overlaying dyno charts (from the same shop) centri vs twinscrew....I went TS.
All that torque down low doesn't mean **** if you can't put it to the ground...
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

Even in 2nd gear, if the tires have any heat in them they stick instantly. Mind you, these are 275/35/20 Pilot PS2s, but the traction is there.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

I wish I would have gone with paxton or a procharger, but I am glad I went with centri.

Quick Reply: Whipple or ProCharger