Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help with Hot Rod Cams

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:15 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Default Help with Hot Rod Cams

I need some help understanding what the Ford Dealer has told me.

I put my car in the shop on Monday before I left on a business trip with the purpose of them installing the following:

FRPP Hot Rod Cams (M-6550-3V)
FRPP 3.73. Gears
Steeda UDP
BBK Polished Ceramic Coated Equal Length Shorty Headers
and a custom tune ordered from Doug at BamaChips

Spoke with the dealer Tuesday afternoon late and they said it was complete but that they felt the car/engine did not seem balanced. They indicated that they had been in contact with Ford (or Ford Racing - not sure which) and that they were told that the car needed to be put on a dyno and tuned. So needless to say they want to send it over to a local speed shop for a dyno tune.

I am still out of town and basically at their mercy - mainly because I want my car!!!! They are quoting me another $650 for the dyno tune. Theysaid that I will receive the tune where I can reload if needed in the future and that since they are having it done, all the records will be on file there in case an issue comes up later where it fails inspection or for some other reason that the car is in the shop they will not reflash it by mistake. Guess I just lose out on the new tuner and all that i just bought from Doug.

Anyway, I need help understanding what they could possibly mean when they said the car did not seem balanced. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:37 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Help with Hot Rod Cams

imo, you should wait until either you
or a friend can evaluate the car and
how it is running, before you shell
out more money.

my guess is it's idling a little rough and
the tech thinks it should be smoother..
Old 07-30-2008, 06:44 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

haha....i wonder if the tech even knows what the cams do.....like hammy stated they are going to make the idle rougher but then again, they are suppose too!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

I swear there are no true mechanics anymore the computer couldn't spit out any thing so he thinks the motor is out of balance??? Tell them to give you your car and you'll take care of it and just use Doug's tune.The cams are doing what they are supposed to do!! $650.00[sm=WTFsgign.gif] for what? If they want $650.00 ask them for an invoice broken out showing exactly what they are doing
and if he says it just labor hours don't buy it make him put in writing what they are doing.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:06 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

im guessing a new tuner and tune, so 650 is about right for that perhaps
Old 07-30-2008, 07:14 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

im guess a new tuner and tune, so 650 is about right for that perhaps
[sm=WTFsgign.gif] No where near right. You can get an SCT tuner from Doug with three tunes for $379.00 the tune he made for these cams was from a car he had on his dyno. MyLocalDJ do not pay them $650.00. It is not worth it I am running these cams with Doug's tune and everything is fine. Besides that he already has the tuner and tune from Doug.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: jmose77

[sm=WTFsgign.gif] No where near right. You can get an SCT tuner from Doug with three tunes for $379.00 the tune he made for these cams was from a car he had on his dyno. MyLocalDJ do not pay them $650.00. It is not worth it I am running these cams with Doug's tune and everything is fine. Besides that he already has the tuner and tune from Doug.

Why do you say that......obviously he already got a tuner and tune from doug, but what if its a diablo and shop that the dealership wants to take the car to only uses the SCT. So 650 for a different tuner and dyno tune isnt that far out......im not saying he should do that but you asked what the 650 was for and i was answering you.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

+ and - ^^^ I would pick the car as is...seems all the work is done and Doug's tunes is loaded. You may want to later put it on the dyno, data logit and send it to Doug. At that point, he should be able to change some things around if needed. Not every car with the same parts is going to run the same as the next one.I have seen plenty of cars with the same setup and tune,produce different a/f ratioand power #s.

Have fun with the new set up!!

Casey
Old 07-30-2008, 07:33 PM
jmose77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmose77

Why do you say that......obviously he already got a tuner and tune from doug, but what if its a diablo and shop that the dealership wants to take the car to only uses the SCT. So 650 for a different tuner and dyno tune isnt that far out......im not saying he should do that but you asked what the 650 was for and i was answering you.
[sm=headbang.gif] Thats high period. But the whole point is he DOES NOT NEED TO PAY THEM ANYTHING.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 PM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

The tuner that I bought from Doug is the SCT X-Calibrator 3.

Quick Reply: Help with Hot Rod Cams