Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Headers and pipes, does BRAND really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:12 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Default Headers and pipes, does BRAND really matter?

Hey guys i have a 08 GT and i wanted to get some headers and pipes to make it sound like a true muscle car!! I love hearing cars with that deep rumble noise. Anyways, does the brand of the headers really matter for performance? I know that they vary in price, but is the gain and sound the same for headers? how much horses can you expect from a complete exhaust done? This will definitely probably void my warranty, but i love the sound of exhaust.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Headers and pipes, does BRAND really matter?

If I could do it all over again I would go with bbk long tube headers to the shorty x-pipe w/high flow cats to 3 inch piping to slp loudmouth axlebacks. If you get headers make sure you get ceramic. Shortiies will be cheaper but you will potentaly see more gains from long tubes and bigger piping. If you do go with a combo like I stated above you might see low end loses until you add some real power like a Super charger. Go on You tube and find the combo that you like. Most Long tubes mean off road x or H pipe which mean emissions test failure, so keep that in mind. I hope I answered some of your questions.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:42 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

bigger piping past the 2.5 inches we come with stock wont get you anything unless you are pushing lots of HP. its going to hurt n/a performance if anything becuase we dont have that big of engines. And you dont need ceramic coated headers either. Very few companies actually have their headers coated.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:30 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

But it always helps reduce the heat in the engine bay getting ceramics. I meant to say that you dont get the real advatage from LT and bigger piping until you add lots of power, my bad. Its just something to keep in mind if you plan on S/cing someday.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 PM
ssxtreme

Im in the same boat right now but have narrowed it down. I was originally looking at bbk's but I want a catted X and for the money I would rather drop a few hundred more and go with the kooks or American Racing. In what I have seen between the S197 and pervious models BBK's just dont seem to be enginered as well as the little more expensive ones. Just my 2 cents from what I've seen. But I agree what was mentioned before go to some races or car shows and talk to the guys with a similar car and see if they will fire it up for you and let you listen to it in person. You tube will give you a rough idea depends on quality of camera there using but nothing beats hearing it in person. I heard a car with the FRPP shorties catted x and magnapack and was amazed at the sound that came out of that thing, especially when he did his burnout and launch down the track.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:45 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

I'm running BBK long tubes with their x-pipes w/cats, no problems here, would recommend it to anyone
Old 08-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Eagle I keep telling people about your exhaust whenever people ask about what they should do. I like your set up so much I might do a complete change.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:04 AM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Seriously? I know you said you wanted 3" piping i've only got 2 3/4 with the magnaflow mufflers, but im really really pleased the sound, it's just amazing. The guys that dyno tuned my car specialize in 4.6's, and when I picked it up he looked at me and said "that's how its supposed to sound right there" it was pretty gratifying lol. I'll recommend anything on my car though it's all run amazingly
Old 08-01-2008, 07:06 AM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

And hey, for what its worth people, if your gunna pay the money for a pair of kooks, i'd get a guy to build ya some.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:26 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

are kooks that much more expensive?

Quick Reply: Headers and pipes, does BRAND really matter?