Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Continue modding or switch cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:40 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Continue modding or switch cars?

I have been putting together a rather large wish list for my plans with the car. Obviously, the list can be extensive as most wish lists are; but it has been causing me to pause. I was hoping for a friendly discussion regarding what might be done. Hoping for an unbiased genuine sports car loving insight. Kind of with the notion of "if I had to do it all over again, what would I do?"

Here's the dilemma:

Brief list of current mods - JLTII CAI, Brenspeed tune, 4.10s, Spydershaft, O/R X pipe, pypes cat back, UDPs, Hurst shifter, ss lines, pads, fluid, better 255/50/17 rubber.

Main compliants with the car - rear end has a "disconnected" feel to it when making small steering corrections, brakes could be stronger, bumps at speed get the back end loose, could use more grunt.

Goal - set up for road course events that is a DD.

Current feasible mod list:
Suspension: Steeda Competition springs, Koni sports, UMI on car adj rod end panhard bar, Steeda panhard brace, CHE A brace with torque limiters

Future list:
Suspension: MM caster camber plates, LCA rod/poly, Steeda competition adj UCA, Prothane motor mounts, brake cooling ducts, 18x9-10 wheels
Power: American racing LT headers, high-flow cats, Corsa AB
Appearance: CDC shaker unit, GT500 spoiler, Silver Horse racing ¼ panel inserts

Wish list:
BBR stage 2 cams
Livernois ported heads
JDM '302' stroker kit
Cobra racing seats

Now here is the part where the friendly discussion comes in. I nearly bought a new 03 cobra way back when but I had just dropped 3K in mods into my Audi and wasn’t ready to part with it. The 06 GT comes off warranty next April so no more safety net. 04 cobras are running around $20-25K with the converts in the upper end and my car has a value around $23K. I have always wanted a little top down fun but always bought a hard top because of the structural integrity and the road course events.

So, would you decide to continue to mod the S197 or go try to find a 'stock' terminator and do the standard CAI, TB, pulley set upgrade, full exhaust, tune, as well asstart upgrading the suspension and brakes?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:44 PM
turbotbirdguy79
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Continue modding or switch cars?

As much as I love terminators,I would stick with what you have.Yeah,the cobra engines can take what ever you throw at them and more but the s197 platform is MUCH better.By buddy has an 04 silver termi with close to 500 WHP.I drive the car all the time,and while its a blast to drive and the sound of the eaton winding up is orgasmic,the power of the car cannot make up for the way it drives.The first time he drove my car,He said he was thinking about trading in his cobra for an 08They are two totally differant beasts.And if your into handling,the newer platforms are much better to.Good luck on your choice though,they are both great cars.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

that seems to be in vouge trade these days... S197 for a Termi

i've never driven one, but from all Ive read the S197 is a better all around car.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:30 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Continue to MOD MOD MOD!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 04:33 PM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

keep your s197 JMO
Old 08-03-2008, 08:01 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: turbotbirdguy79

As much as I love terminators,I would stick with what you have.Yeah,the cobra engines can take what ever you throw at them and more but the s197 platform is MUCH better.By buddy has an 04 silver termi with close to 500 WHP.I drive the car all the time,and while its a blast to drive and the sound of the eaton winding up is orgasmic,the power of the car cannot make up for the way it drives.The first time he drove my car,He said he was thinking about trading in his cobra for an 08They are two totally differant beasts.And if your into handling,the newer platforms are much better to.Good luck on your choice though,they are both great cars.
That's interesting, I test drove a termi 3.5 yrs ago so hard to compare againt the S197. But from a handling standpoint, you're saying the handling of the S197 stick axle is better than the termi's independent? Maybe the S197 front suspension is better and the frame is stiffer but my handling woes are focused on the rear, the front is fine, turn in is pretty good. Is the balance worse in the termi?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:24 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

I'm thinking you should keep modding. Especially if the Cobras are bringing what this Ebay auction is asking for...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-....c0.m245.l1318
Old 08-03-2008, 08:51 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

OP - I don't know where you got it in your head thast your car is worth $23k.. It's 3 MYs old, a coupe, and a V8. With the price of gas and the glut of GTs around, you'd be pretty lucky to see $18k if the car is spotless.

Me? Answers in my sig.. Mod, mod, mod..
Old 08-03-2008, 08:58 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

Persoanlly I would get an sn-95, do a griggs racing suspension kit, 03 cobra motor and trans, build the rear end and call it a day.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:25 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

OP - I don't know where you got it in your head thast your car is worth $23k.. It's 3 MYs old, a coupe, and a V8. With the price of gas and the glut of GTs around, you'd be pretty lucky to see $18k if the car is spotless.

Me? Answers in my sig.. Mod, mod, mod..
Numbers came from kbb.com, whether they reflect current 'true' market prices is debatable. Continue modding is the trend.

The SN-95 chasis must really suck if all of you are saying to mod an inferior motor and go nuts with the stick axlevs moddinga terminator.

Quick Reply: Continue modding or switch cars?