Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

comp cams vs FRPP

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

Default comp cams vs FRPP

im in the market for some cams, but i can't deicide between the FRPP hot rod cams and the comp cams NSR set from brenspeed.

the hot rod cams have the sound i'm looking for but it appears that the comp cams have better power gains... but i havn't heard them as much as i have the hot rod cams...

what do you guys think? anyone have first hand experience with these two?

-joe
Old 08-06-2008, 08:23 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: comp cams vs FRPP

i don't have experience with them, but
i think with your exhaust setup, the hot
rod cams are going to sound incredible

Old 08-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Your not going to see great power gains with either set of cams. This hot rod cams have been all over these forums lately and the only proven numbers from members are gains in the teens. I would say if you want to go with the FRPP then go with those for the sound cause your probably not going to notice the power change. If your going to go with NSR comp cams then you might see a little more gains but you wont get as much of and idle sound change. I think its been determined over the past 100 cam threads on the forums that if your going for sound change then FRPP is the way to go. If your going for power gains and sound change, your going to spend twice as much money for parts and labor and you should go with a Valve Spring change and Phaser modification required cam like the Comp Cams SPR stage 1, 2 or 3. If you go with a SPR cam you will be able to see 50 rwhp gains and a crazy idle change. All my info doesn't come from personal experience but the experiences that I've heard from others on the forums, proving dyno runs on you tube and other video sites, and talking to comp cams reps and engine builders. I was on the computer for two weeks strait looking into changing cams and I decided to go with Stage 2 VSR blower cams from comp cam. I'll see an idle sound change (not as insane as the FRPP), and I could get up to 40 rwhp gains with a good tune.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

thats SPR brian
Old 08-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

whoops my bad, editing....
Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Honestly the results we have seen with the FRPP for gains are off the charts.....LocalDJ seems to have not gained much at all but he does have other issues going on and some other guy is claiming 47. Personally im going to say 20-30 with LTs and CMCV is probably about right will good tuning. That is the range ford is stating i think also and if Doug has stated 17 before then that isnt far off. The 47 is BS still and has not been backed up last i looked at that thread over on stangnet.

The brenspeed/compcam NSR setup has given consistent results from the people that have them.....37 from one guy with the cams and lts added at the same time. Not bad at all IMO. Many pople have gotten them done on TMS but they are not all member over here. But i have read their results and they are not bad.

I too was highly considering a "no springs" setup for a long time. Then i starting looking at dyno charts and readed many threads and most all have the same loss of torq in the lower RPMS. Enough that a DD would surely notice this loss. The SPRs are not suppose to have this loss and do give very nice gains well over 35 HP i would think on most any car. Yes the cost for the cams, springs and phasers is 1300ish and install and tuning is probably another 1k. So if you got the money it might be a much better choice for better gains and no torq loss. Any cam other than stock will also wear the springs out faster, cant say how much but it will be a shorter life. So that is another reason for me to just have it all replaced and not worry about that.

I think it comes down to if you want them for sound or power. Also if your car is purely a track car or not at all. I still want to see more FRPP results before i would recommend them over the Brenspeed/comp cams setup. If the FRPP gains are small, its hard to say i am going to spend 1500 for mostly sound. But for some that is worth every penny.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Thats not exactly true Howarmat. It depends what stage you go with. If we're talking about comp cam's 3 stages they are all made for different gains in the range of rpms. Stage 1 (NSR,VSR, SPR blower or N/A) are all lower level cams where you will see a power gain (rwtq) in the lower levels and then good gains about 4500 rpm range. They say using stock gears or converter are ok with this stage because of the low level gains. Stage 2 (NSR, VSR, SPR blower or N/A) are a higher range cam where you'll see the best power gains over 4900 rpms. They recommend a gear change for these due to a lose in the low end torque. Now comp cam only offers stage 3 cams at the SPR level for blowers and N/A. For these your going to notice a huge gain in the middle and higher rpms. They recommend 4.10s or higher gear change for these due to the low end lose. These are also cams that are made more for built motors, requires ported heads. Not sure if all cams are like this, but I'd imagine that they are.

OP, here is the proof of what I just said. These all of the cams that comp cam make for our S197. Read the write ups on these and you will learn a bunch about cams.
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...y_Code=FRD3VCK
Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

They say the stock gears are ok but the from the graphs i have seen the stage one still lose torq on the bottom end.

You can see some stage 2 graphs here http://compcams.com/3valve/

But here is a stage 1 NSR that brenspeed did.....there is a great deal of loss of torq shown here. Might not be as much as stage 2

Old 08-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

after doing some reading around, it appears that the FRPP hot rod cames need to be specifically tuned for in order to get some gains... JPC said they got 25rwhp on a properly tuned setup.

i'm more of a performance guy by far, but i love the way the hot rod cams sound so its hard to say...
Old 08-07-2008, 01:18 AM
stangNV

ok comp stage II's dont give you as much of a lope as the FRPP's but do give alot more power.....comp you dont need a tune FRPP you do....go to radmustangs.com and they have the custom grind cams that give a little more power than the stage II's and sound better than the FRPP's....because im part of another forum and talked to the guy who runs radmustangs and he gave a lot of info on the different cams...with the custom grind cams you need the phaser limiters tho

Quick Reply: comp cams vs FRPP