Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best Cams for street driven NA GT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:08 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Default Best Cams for street driven NA GT?

Is this a smart mod for a daily driver? Who's done it and what is your experience? Cost for install?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:13 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Comp cams SPR stage II's...best headers to date with stock heads. They require springs, phaser limiters and retainers. Gains are in the 45-55rwhp range with no loss of torque due to the limiters. Best cam for NA applications and stock heads.

Visit www.radmustangs.com for them. Richard is the "cam man". Tell him Mickey sent you, he is throwing out huge deals right now and he is one smart SOB
Old 08-25-2008, 05:14 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

oh, and you have perfect gears for these cams
Old 08-25-2008, 05:30 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06Saleen3V
Comp cams SPR stage II's...best headers to date with stock heads. They require springs, phaser limiters and retainers. Gains are in the 45-55rwhp range with no loss of torque due to the limiters. Best cam for NA applications and stock heads.

Visit www.radmustangs.com for them. Richard is the "cam man". Tell him Mickey sent you, he is throwing out huge deals right now and he is one smart SOB
Thank You for the detailed reply!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Ive read that comp has an NSR cam I believe stage 3( I believe thiers a thread about them "thumprs") that has the phase limiters so no loss in tq for those either. I beleive its a new product but is something I might consider. The thing that stops me from doing cams is the loss of low end tq.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:35 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
Ive read that comp has an NSR cam I believe stage 3( I believe thiers a thread about them "thumprs") that has the phase limiters so no loss in tq for those either. I beleive its a new product but is something I might consider. The thing that stops me from doing cams is the loss of low end tq.
NSR means no springs required....any aftermarket cam that does not require heavier, aftermarket springs is going to underperform against one that does need them. Go with the SPR's and do it right the first time
Old 08-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06Saleen3V
NSR means no springs required....any aftermarket cam that does not require heavier, aftermarket springs is going to underperform against one that does need them. Go with the SPR's and do it right the first time
Yep I know what the NSR stands for. I also agree that you'll get less performance out of an NSR cam than an SPR cam. However NSR is also quite a bit less expensive both for parts and install. As with the LT headers for a car that doesnt see the track and is just meant to be a nice performance DD or weekend getaway car I'm not sure spending the extra dollars is really worth it. Now if I was at the track and putting it on the dyno regularly or something I could see the extra expense.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:32 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

So for the NSR cams, all you have to do is buy it and take it to the shop and get it installed? Don't need anything else?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:01 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

^ yes that is correct
Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

I'm having this problem also, if i can get a NSR that doesn't lose tq or very min amount of it, I'll be gold. My car is a DD and goes to the track but being I'm in college and my buddy prob can install the a NSR, which means i save a lot of money.

Quick Reply: Best Cams for street driven NA GT?