Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MAJOR hesitation....why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sounds like the Fuel Pump TSB description. My '07 has done it about 3 times and I haven't been able to reproduce it since turning the TCS off (probably just a coincidence). But if mine does it again, off to the dealer I go.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

****tttt. so i'm screwed lol. i'm pretty sure it IS the fuel pump. even after idling for >3 minutes, it does that. but ford basically said "GFY".

damnit. i have to buy a new fuel pump. thats all they do right? just replace the fuel pump?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:46 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle4.6GT
no they wouldn't fix my goddamn fuel pump TSB because they were being dicks.

lol. Welcome to the club of dealers being a-holes.

I still need to fix mine. I actually haven't had the car do it in several months. I don't know what changed. I should still replace the pump anyway.

I hear it's pretty easy to do, unlike in some cars.

One of these days I'll get around to doing it.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:42 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

did you ever change your fuel filter?
Old 08-26-2008, 11:42 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Hmm...I'm definitely getting the same thing. After starting the car, it doesn't matter how long it idles, five seconds or so after rolling in 1st gear the car can buck pretty good. Also if I make like I want to start off in 1st, then press the clutch back in for a 1/2 second (usually because some idiot in an auto can't figure out what they are doing in front of me), then try again while rolling ever so slightly, the throttle is first unresponsive, then revs all over the place. It's pretty ridiculous.

I'm not sure I buy the Fuel Pump TSB answer though. My 06 had that fuel pump problem, and it didn't do what you guys are describing. It would only act up on the highway when downshifting and hitting the gas; the car would buck something awful for about a second, then take off. This seems like a different problem to me, but that's just my opinion on it.

Interesting to know that I'm not the only one though...might be time to get to the dealership before I pull the trigger on the CAI and tune...
Old 08-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Uhh... Take it to a different dealer for the TSB? Mine didn't give me any grief. I printed out the TSB, took the car in, and gave them a description of the problem. At first they talked about recreating the issue but I mentioned they would have to take it on the highway for at least half an hour before it would come up. At that point they just said pretty much screwit, we'll order the part, bring it back in two days. Done deal.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:21 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

i got the same issueon my 07, TSB is only for 05-06,so dealer told me "they would have to drive my car around and get it to make the same problem",i told them never mind,ill take care of it my self.

if you have ever looked at the pump out side the car, you can pretty much see why there is a problem, all the hoses that loop around get tiny air bubbles in them,once they build up and you give it alot of gas that air goes to the injectors. thats my ideal ,i plan to ditch the white plastic hose and replace with solid fuel line with no loops in the system.

it would be awesome to see what they actually do for the tsb,do they replace the hole assembly or just the pump or what?
Old 08-27-2008, 01:59 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
i got the same issueon my 07, TSB is only for 05-06,so dealer told me "they would have to drive my car around and get it to make the same problem",i told them never mind,ill take care of it my self.

if you have ever looked at the pump out side the car, you can pretty much see why there is a problem, all the hoses that loop around get tiny air bubbles in them,once they build up and you give it alot of gas that air goes to the injectors. thats my ideal ,i plan to ditch the white plastic hose and replace with solid fuel line with no loops in the system.

it would be awesome to see what they actually do for the tsb,do they replace the hole assembly or just the pump or what?
The gt500 pumps have the same hoses and loops, but it doesn't cause the same problem.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:12 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

GT500 pump FTW.

Actually I did replace the Fuel Filter a while back. Maybe that's the reason I don't see the hesitation as much. My original one was so clogged I don't see how ANY gas got through. I tried to blow through it and HOLY CRAP! Hardly any of my air came out. I blew on the new one and it was like blowing through a straw; perfectly fine and easy.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:22 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

After how many miles are you guys changing your filter then?

Quick Reply: MAJOR hesitation....why?