Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cams

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:18 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NA2005
it ahs been proven the COmp NSR staeg II's produce 25-32hp threew out the rpm band. the FRPP cams sound better but don't perform better. The comp NSR are the NSR cams out there the dont lose anything down low and gain up top. radmustangs.com have a dyno sheet so you can see the gains.
There is a thread on here somewhere with both comp and frpp dynoed and comps looses torque down low where the frpp dont and as I stated before the hp gain is not as large as the torque diffrence so IMO the frpp ones are better , Im not interested in the extra 2 hp at 6000 rpm more concered with having torque down low or atleast maintaning my current tourque level.

comps spr are bad *** but the idle isnt there and cost a fortune to install...
Old 09-01-2008, 12:55 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Do some homework gentlemen...the thumpr cams were not designed with gains as a high priority...they were made for sound...now look at the SPR stage II cams...those rape the hot rods
Old 09-01-2008, 12:57 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TOMBSTANG
There is a thread on here somewhere with both comp and frpp dynoed and comps looses torque down low where the frpp dont and as I stated before the hp gain is not as large as the torque diffrence so IMO the frpp ones are better , Im not interested in the extra 2 hp at 6000 rpm more concered with having torque down low or atleast maintaning my current tourque level.

comps spr are bad *** but the idle isnt there and cost a fortune to install...
With comps new phaser limiter lockouts, they are able to harness a very nice amount of low end torque while keeping the high end gains very high...they limit the amount of degree to a high of 20 degrees as opposed to high 60's as with normal cams in the mustangs

oh, and cams are free to install...do it yourself
Old 09-01-2008, 02:43 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06Saleen3V
With comps new phaser limiter lockouts, they are able to harness a very nice amount of low end torque while keeping the high end gains very high...they limit the amount of degree to a high of 20 degrees as opposed to high 60's as with normal cams in the mustangs

oh, and cams are free to install...do it yourself
"With comps new phaser limiter lockouts"....the thumpers had these and still lost torque. I dont think comp just made these for sound either, I just dont see comp cams making a cam just for sound Im pretty sure they would do there best to make it perform aswell as they could get it while maintaining the wicked lope. Frpp just did a lil bit better of a job then comp did and they still dont require the phase limiters and still maintain and actually gain compared to comps loss of torque.

Rememebr we are comparing apples with apples and if it came down to it im sure ford could release spr cams also that gain you high hp but im sure they do there homework as well and there isnt much of the market for it at this point considering the spr have been out for awhile and I recall maybe seen 2 guys on all of the forums im on with them.And installing the spr compared to the nsr is like a $1000 diffrence at a shop, and they dont charge that amount either cause its easy to do, nsr sure not to tough adding all the stuff included in spr is a whole diff story.

does anybody have any dyno charts or a link for the spr im curious to see what they put out?
Old 09-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Black07gt
3rd Gear Member

hot rods sound amazing.... i want them!!! do you need springs and all of that? would it be the same if i modify my stock cams? i have a friend that works on the crower factory and we said he could modify my stack ones and make them a replica of the hot rod cams. whould this be a good idea?

Last edited by Black07gt; 09-01-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2008, 02:39 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hot rods sound amazing.... i want them!!!

good choice

do you need springs and all of that?

NSR No springs required (according to the FRPP website)

would it be the same if i modify my stock cams?

if you can create a duplicate of the hot rods, with your cams, then
yes it would be the same

i have a friend that works on the crower factory and we said he could modify my stack ones and make them a replica of the hot rod cams. whould this be a good idea?

i don't see why it would not be a good idea, except for the down
time.
good luck, i hope you get your cams, one way or another
Old 09-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

here is COMP NSR stage 2 for slight comparison..

Test Parameters

Engine: Ford 4.6L Modular 3 Valve Engine

Intake Modifications: JLT Cold Air Intake

Headers: Dynatech Full Length Headers with X-Pipe & High Flow Cat

Mufflers: Stock

http://www.compcams.com/Base/masteri...no/nsrdyno.jpg

Last edited by Hufenstang; 09-01-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:50 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

hey that is a great chart, i would love to
see one like that, of the hot rods vs. stock
Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

and for you guys wondering what the difference is between COMP CAM stage 2 NSR and COMP CAM STAGE 2 SPR( Springs and phase limiters) Here is the other chart and a video.

http://www.compcams.com/Base/masteri...no/sprdyno.jpg

pretty big gains and no lose of low torque.

Heres the video if you want to hear what they sound like.

http://www.powerperformancetv.com/vi...l.php?mId=5294
Old 09-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Also for you boosted guys... Brent at brenspeed recently did a COMP CAM STAGE 2 SPR (Spring phaser limiters) blower grind. He got amazing results out of it.. 85rwhp!!

http://www.powerperformancetv.com/vi...l.php?mId=6536

there is brents video and dyno results at the end.

Quick Reply: cams