Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

JBA Shorty Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Default JBA Shorty Installation Questions

Learn it yourself. I'm done.

Last edited by BruceH; 11-13-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:09 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Brenspeed sells the prothane motor mounts for $150 with free shipping. I have seen a few other members on here with those mounts.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:36 AM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

You do not need to change mount, in fact I couldn't even think of why you would want to.

And you certainly do not want a solid mount....

Good luck on the install you'll be fine!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:21 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Some other members have had problems with the jba shorty headers rubbing when doing hard cornering. Might as well switch them out for insurance since you have to pop the motor mounts anyways to install the headers.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I went with the prothane's car is more solid now imo. Yes some have had trouble with the header hitting the steering linkage during hard cornering. Also Ive heard of some blowing out the stock mounts at the track although not on stock motors. Might as well change them when your doing the headers if your thinking about it.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:55 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Stock mounts here, with JBA shortys......No rubbing issues at all.....
Old 09-06-2008, 02:33 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Yep, here too.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

I just did my shorties and love them. I jacked up the engine from the oilpan.( the directions say no) but ive did it on every car ive worked on and never had a problem. Then i threw a 6 inch long 2x4 inbetween the rack and the pan to support it(per BBk's instructions) so the weight wasnt on the jack. This was put in the 1.5 inch tall way to lift it a tad. For ease of removing the steering shaft you might have to slide the rack forward and then which you wont be able to support the engine from it( so you could shuffle the jack back under there for the rack reposition). Also, look up " CHE torque brace" I did that on mine which also stops the engine from rocking and improves 2nd gear shifts. And i havent had any rubbing and i didnt do the mounts( yet mine are BBK's) -Jon
Old 09-07-2008, 09:02 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Learn it yourself. I'm done.

Last edited by BruceH; 11-13-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:10 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Thanks for the info Jon. Does anything besides the motor mounts have to be loosened when jacking the motor?
I just did this install within the last month...you're in for a fun and rewarding day and shots of alcohol at the end of it (mainly for pain relief).
My 2 cents...

> Do the Prothane mounts at the same time - as an fyi when you're idling (at least with the manual) you will feel more vibration but it is not bad - buy them on ebay for about 130 shipped
> Pull your cold air before jacking the motor - I think that is all I did
> To thread the Prothane hex bolts (into the mount) from the top I had to re-jack the motor from the rear of the oil pan to push it forward--otherwise I could not get it threaded
> You need air/impact gun which I'm sure you have - also need a swivel
> Buy a tube of hi-temp gasket maker
> Use mechanix gloves - you probably already have
> Pray when you try to plug the right side cat maf plug back in - it is way up high and I don't even know how I plugged it in.
> Steering shaft - comes apart easy - if you don't super tighten you WILL have play in your steering
> Driver side header easy - passenger side more time consuming with different shape motor mount and starter and no room.
> Allow a full 10 hours for worst case scenario

I've done myself pullies, struts, shocks, lowering springs, shifter, sway bars, exhaust, etc and this really makes you focus.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!
Kevin

Quick Reply: JBA Shorty Installation Questions