Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

looking for a new short block

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:03 PM
erichikov
1st Gear Member

Default looking for a new short block

Well I have the brenspeed saleen stage 3 supercharger kit and a couple of days ago my engine decided to go boom. I was driving and got on it a little bit and all of a sudden I just heard a pop and something metal bang against the ground. I was going around 85 when it happened and I hit the brakes and nothing happened. Scared the **** outta me, thank god no one was around and the road was long with no lights. Pulled the emergency brake up a little bit and eventually stopped. Is it normal for your brakes to go out when that happens? Oil was all over the place. Best part is, some cop came up to me and called me over to his car. He told me that my radiator was leaking.(keep in mind oil is all over the road and leaking under my car. I told him I was pretty sure that wasn't the case. He told me I didn't know what I was taking about and asked me if I wanted him to call a tow truck. I said no thank you and without saying anything he put up his window and left. I hate cops. I'll try to post some pictures. Also, it was the first cold night of the year like 55 degrees and my car was tuned when it was 95 degrees, would that have anything to do with it?

I am looking for a forged short block, can someone point me to the best? Also if I up the boost with the new forged internals to over 500rwhp, what kind of fuel system and what else would I need to make it safely? Thank you for your inputs.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

I've seen livernois work in person and that would be my SB of choice if I were in your situation.

There are so many things that can go wrong so who knows, a stage 3 saleen/brenspeed is too much power for the stock SB according to many people.

A GT500 fuel system will provide fuel close to the 550-600rwhp in it's stock form and about 100rwhp more on upgraded cabling and lines.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:05 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by erichikov
Well I have the brenspeed saleen stage 3 supercharger kit and a couple of days ago my engine decided to go boom. I was driving and got on it a little bit and all of a sudden I just heard a pop and something metal bang against the ground. I was going around 85 when it happened and I hit the brakes and nothing happened. Scared the **** outta me, thank god no one was around and the road was long with no lights. Pulled the emergency brake up a little bit and eventually stopped. Is it normal for your brakes to go out when that happens? Oil was all over the place. Best part is, some cop came up to me and called me over to his car. He told me that my radiator was leaking.(keep in mind oil is all over the road and leaking under my car. I told him I was pretty sure that wasn't the case. He told me I didn't know what I was taking about and asked me if I wanted him to call a tow truck. I said no thank you and without saying anything he put up his window and left. I hate cops. I'll try to post some pictures. Also, it was the first cold night of the year like 55 degrees and my car was tuned when it was 95 degrees, would that have anything to do with it?

I am looking for a forged short block, can someone point me to the best? Also if I up the boost with the new forged internals to over 500rwhp, what kind of fuel system and what else would I need to make it safely? Thank you for your inputs.

+1 on Livernois would be my choice.

I noticed Realspeed did the install and put out 443rwhp on a Mustang dyno which could depending on cal = around 470+rwhp on a dynojet ( or could be close to a DJ vs Realspeed MD#'s depending on cal) but in any case were you just running the KB BAP that comes with the stage 3?

Curious why you didn't run the Brenspeed tune for the stage 3?

Last edited by TJ; 09-12-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:32 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lito
I've seen livernois work in person and that would be my SB of choice if I were in your situation.

There are so many things that can go wrong so who knows, a stage 3 saleen/brenspeed is too much power for the stock SB according to many people.

A GT500 fuel system will provide fuel close to the 550-600rwhp in it's stock form and about 100rwhp more on upgraded cabling and lines.
I would have to disagree with you the Stage 3 (9.5psi) on auto's makes around 420-430rwhp manuals around 440-450rwhp on Brenspeeds street tune. I would not consider tha to much power for the stock 3v's running Brenspeed 93 octane tune. I don't think most would either imo.

Last edited by TJ; 09-12-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:41 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Livernois.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TJ
The Stage 3 (9.5psi) on auto's makes around 420-430rwhp manuals around 440-450rwhp on Brenspeeds street tune I would not consider to much power for the stock 3v's running Brenspeed 93 octane tune. I don't think most would either imo.
450 rwhp will put you on 500fwhp or even a little more, I have customers running over 500rwhp and 14-15psi (because they want to and know what is at stake) but I've read from many people that know that a 450+rwhp stock SB is a ticking time bomb, I'm not giving it as a fact or even as my opinion just repeating what is the usual consensus limits.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

I have been told to keep it around 440rwhp with the stock block but there are numerous people pushin much more power than that on there stock block and have no problems. I guess some people are lucky and some are not but there are so many factors when it comes to detonation that we cant just point it on how much power the car has.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:03 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lito
450 rwhp will put you on 500fwhp or even a little more, I have customers running over 500rwhp and 14-15psi (because they want to and know what is at stake) but I've read from many people that know that a 450+rwhp stock SB is a ticking time bomb, I'm not giving it as a fact or even as my opinion just repeating what is the usual consensus limits.

Lito your analogy of a ticking time bomb can be said anytime you FI at any power level on a stock non forged 3V motor imo and I could agree with you on that. A lot of things can go wrong bad tuner/ bad tune, bad gas at the gas station/water in the tanks, fuel pump system fails, rod fails, detonation etc. That is the chance we know we are taking and are willing to take going FI. The higher you go in the power level the higher risk but there here are a lot of people running 420-450rwhp @8-9.5psi power level on all the forums you do not see them blowing up often (rare imo) in this power level when running a solid tune from one of the big tuners Brenspeed, JDM etc in this power level.

The above is just my opinion.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:08 PM
erichikov
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, I'll check out livernois. When the car was dynoed at 443rwhp, it was 95 degrees out. I know for a fact when my car is warm and after I drive for awhile, it slows down a bit. I have a feeling the cold air had something to do with it, maybe made too much hp for the boost-a-pump and went lean? Thanks for the responses though.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:10 PM
erichikov
1st Gear Member

And yes, I was running the brenspeed tune. I know it is a canned tune but I heard really good things from brenspeed so I thought it'd be fine.

Quick Reply: looking for a new short block